• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wexfordman
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2005

Locating hw in attic

Hi,
    I'm in the process of doing a bit of rewiring, and as part of it, want to relocate my wiring to a more central location. My house is a bungalow, so easy enough to do a lot of the rewire, and I am hoping to locate a 19" wall mount cabinet in the attic. Couple of concerns and advice would be apprecaited however:-

1) I aim to rewire all my cat5, including ethernet etc into the cabinet in the attic. This also means putting in a 24port switch.
    2) I also plan on relocating my main router/ata into the attic also, and a few wireless AP's
    3) I may relocate my tv distribution here also, using a standard skyeye compatible amp.
    4) Finally, might put in a remote extension of comfort alarm for additional inputs etc.

So, my concern is related to heat:- With the above active hardware located inside a 19" cabinet, would heat be excessive in the summer ? I have not measured, but if I do go to measure, I'll have to wait until next summer before making a decision. So is a typical irish/uk attic going to get excessively warm or cold for active hardware ?

If its possible, I might even look at relocating NAS box and putting in a UPS in the longer term.

Would appreciate any advice, in addition to a good source of affordable 19" cabinets and accessories also ?

Thanks,
    Eamon
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I would also look into weight, it soon ads up.
    Some fans placed at the bottom of the rack and some at the top may do the trick.
    Those laptop style trays may be the way to go as they are very cheap and have somewhere between 2 to 4 fans. Also they are cheaper than the rackmount equivalent.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
    X