• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bradsalmon
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2010

TV recording in Node 0

Hi all,

I'm planning my new automated setup :0) and would appreciate some suggestions with regards to what to use for a central DVR from freeview, freesat and any other sources.

I vaguely remember someone posting about a system which you can add DVB-T cards into and it automatically working out how many recordings it can make at any one time (splitting recordings by MUXs - or whatever they are called), but can't find this when searching the forum.

Any ideas or gotchas to look out for?

Thanks,

Brad
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Few of the guys in our IRC channel use this - http://www.mythtv.org

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• gazza_d
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2011

Mythtv

I have ran Mythtv for several years (2003!) and it is ideal for this sort of thing. Especially as it can record from different channels on the same MUX at once, which I don't think anything else can do.

It has an excellent backend frontend network architecture, and can be scaled almost as far as you want.

Recordings can be played on seperate frontends, or via upnp.

It's fairly easy to setup these days with the likes of Knoppmyth, and Mythbuntu providing customised distos.

Definately worth a peek.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

I have heard good things about the Dreambox DVB box, as this just needs the relevant cards for DVB-S, DVB-T etc. And I do know it can be incorporated within XBMC as well.
        Also have a look at TVheadend
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• ScaredyCat
          Automated Home Lurker
          • May 2004

Originally posted by gazza_d View Post
          I have ran Mythtv for several years (2003!) and it is ideal for this sort of thing. Especially as it can record from different channels on the same MUX at once, which I don't think anything else can do.

It has an excellent backend frontend network architecture, and can be scaled almost as far as you want.
          I'd stick a vote in for mythtv, although I've just had some grief because of the digital switchover in which I had to delete the cards and channels, then re-add them. I'll have to do it again on the 24th too - However, mythtv as a recording mechanism is just fantastic. I'm prepared to put up with a little hassle once in a blue moon for the usefulness it gives me. I currently only use USB WinTV Nova-T's for recordings no pci cards in my box.

I have to say the mythtv frontend is rubbish, I can't say I've seen anything that bad for a long long time. It's a frontend for watching stuff you've recorded, not for watching tv, and it's fugly and clunky and just awful.

I use xbmc to watch recordings. Newer versions of xbmc understand the myth:// protocol too.

ScaredyCat

Comment

• bradsalmon
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2010

Thanks all - will take a look at the options although tvheadend looks to fall short on live timeshifting.

Think Mythtv was what I was thinking of.

cheers

Comment

Working...
            X