• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Expanding form and cabling

Evening all,

A Google search of expanding form with electrical cabling draws a 50:50 split on those that say it is ok and those that say it isn't. What do people on here think? I have a number of holes in walls to allow cable drops and I want to fill these up to stop mice and remove draughts.

Paul
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Remember once you do use the expanding foam, its an absolute bugger if you need to remove it to either put in another cable or add more. Depending on the hole diameter I have used steel wool on small holes. This stops insects and mice. As for draughts its not bad as it traps the air. And also easy to remove if you need to.
    You should also look at the fire codes for your area as foam my not be allowed when the hole is from one floor to another.
    Another option would be to use MCT blocks, but probably a bit of over kill in the average house. Normally used on ships.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Thanks Toscal, I'll only be considering foam when all sockets and lights are automated. Some of the foram is fire rated so if I go down this path I'll be using this type of expanding foam.

I just realised that our new datacentre at work has firewalls (physical as well as network related) Cables pass through in certain areas and are surrounded by some substance so I'll have a word with facilities

Paul

Comment

• MichaelD
        Automated Home Guru
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Paul_B View Post
        Thanks Toscal, I'll only be considering foam when all sockets and lights are automated.
        Paul
        You never get to a point where everything is automated, ther's always something new you need to add !

Comment

• Geps
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2010

Holes next to cable just mean you haven't flooded the room enough

On a more serious note expanding foam is used all over the country in conjunction with sealing PVCu windows and doors - so unless the 'u' adds an enhanced resistance I'd have no concerns.

Comment

Working...
          X