X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin
    • Jan 2004

Quick start ...

The documentation for xAPFlash is pedestrian and long, and has been both praised and criticised - well I think it was praised once

Verbosity has never been my strong point as someone who recently looked at the 12500 lines of source code also commented ! Monolithic was just one word used, most others were shorter..

Brett to the rescue... Over on the Home Automation Hub site is a concise write up of xAP Flash. It's a work in progress so keep checking back as it expands and you can , and should, contribute too. Let us know any things that are unclear or wrong. Some of the more advanced features are still to be added.

I encourage all new users to try this as their starting point but still included in the download is that 'Getting Started' tome from beta 4 and the beta 5 addendum.

K
  • dbzoo
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2010

Yup anything that isn't clear in the notes I've written up post to this forum and I'll work on amending or clarify them with Kevin's help.

All suggestions with regards to the structure, syntax, and content let me know the problem and I'll fix it up.
    There is quite a lot of information to write up so consider this Draft 1.

I've also created a couple of installers for the Joggler to automate the process.
    1. for the xapFlash application. Both for installing and upgrades to make sure you have the latest and greatest.
    2. and I've released an iServer for the joggler too. This is the same component that runs on the HAH just compiled up for the Joggler.

Enjoy,
    Brett
    Last edited by dbzoo; 17 November 2011, 09:05 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

• g7pkf
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jul 2011

Help sample not working docs wrong.

Well its atypo, 127.0.0.1 change to your hah ip, well i tried this but the ip on the smaple file (Bret's) on the wiki on HAH has a 192.168.X.X address.

anyaway cahnegd that changed UID but all i get is XAP in big letters on a white background?

Anyone else any problems with the sample files? what else do i need to change?

Comment

• Kevin
        • Jan 2004

From the comment xAP in big letters on a white (black ?) background I think it's more likely you have some needed image files missing from your xAPFlash directory, most likely backgrounds.

Brett is now using two different backgrounds in his example file, blue-background.jpg and black-background.jpg. These are not installed by default and so he has provided download links to these files on the Wiki and you will need to copy them across to the xAPFlash directory.

A good way to spot these things when you use someone else's layout is to search their xapconfig.xml for .jpg .gif and .png and check you do have any files that are referenced . You could also search for the <background> tag and see what's in there. background.jpg is installed by default so you can temporarily always edit back to that.

Unfortunately until backgrounds have loaded it's harder to display a useful error message on screen. Later attempted loads of missing images do display better error messages.

[Note to self - on screen error messages or defaulting to background.jpg for missing backgrounds would be much better than just hanging at startup].

K

BTW Brett's example file is now a tar.gz download to make things easier to expand on the Joggler. Most Windows ZIP utils will expand it just the same.

TIP If you add your own iServer IP address/password within an <override> tag in xapconfig.xml you will not then need to edit any of this information in xapconfig.xml (even though it differs). You can then download other people's configurations and they'll work - assuming you also install any required graphics files too.

<joggler>
        <version>0.5</version>
        <name>Joggler</name>
        <xAP>
        <uid>0739</uid>
        </xAP>
        <usejogglerapi>auto</usejogglerapi>
        <configfilelocation>local</configfilelocation>
        <configfile>xapconfig.xml</configfile>
        <override>
        <config>
        <iserver>
        <port>9996</port>
        <ip>192.168.1.94</ip>
        <password></password>
        </iserver>
        <pausescreensaver/>
        </config>
        </override>
        </joggler>
        Last edited by Kevin; 20 November 2011, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• g7pkf
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jul 2011

Could i have found the problem?

Following advice i checked and i have xAP installed in 2 locations now.

as my Joggler was virgin with no apps installed i installed into the directory as instructed, the new install puts it somewhere else....

Now i think it might be best to factory reset and start again BUT i will wait as i have another joggler on its way to me so will get that set up and working prior to playing with my live joggler.

Dean

Comment

Working...
          X