• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Power Monitoring

the Current Cost device has expanded its capabilities since last we looked - can deal with multiple inputs, read the pulses on a smart meter, connect to the 'net, etc ... there's also an analogue development board - at a quick glance, not sure what it can do, exactly, in terms of what it produces being displayed, but it's tempting to think it might provide a / another way of linking to IdraNet :

ie: if the board could be paired as Appliance 0, then maybe an EnviR (& satellite displays) could be used as an energy display, using data supplied by Cortex, via IdraNet & a QAO ... (???)
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 3 December 2011, 11:16 AM. Reason: additional link
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

Chris,

Certainly looks like this has come quite a long way since the early days and is continuing to evolve. I certainlly like the appliance monitoring device it is something I have wanted from Idratek for a long time. The closest I have come to this is placing DIN mounted power usgae units with pulse output on each ring circuit of the house

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

yep, we've installed some of those ...

but we're still looking for a simple way to display data to improve awareness, and the CC approach might be as good as any ...

not sure the Analogue 'Board can be paired as Appliance 0, though ...
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4 December 2011, 01:21 AM.

Comment

• Geps
        Automated Home Guru
        • Nov 2010

Not sure if it's just me thinking this.....but what use do I have for being able to check my home electricity usage through the internet?

I'm a big fan of 'why not!?' but not quite sure it's going to have a massive appeal to the wider market.....?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

the Internet aspects of the CC approach were peripheral for us, quite minor - it's the display / displays in & around the house that looked interesting, through their potential for modifying people's behaviour & their demands for power ... ie: given the information, people might think twice (even once) !
          Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4 December 2011, 01:20 AM.

Comment

• Geps
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2010

Slightly OT have you found an internet connected thermostat?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

no, but an Idratek set-up can talk with the 'net ...

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

A client of mine has a network enabled thermostat, which he can look at via the internet. He does live in the middle of no where and switching the heating on an hour earlier if he wants can make the difference between a warm house and a cold one. In December it can fall to -7 through the night. Also he has the odd late night at work so being able to adjust the temp via his phone office pc or to postpone the on time by an hour or so is quite useful.
                Being able to look at your power consumption via the internet is useful if you think you have left something on. But then if you have you also need a way to turn it off remotely.
                IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

ditto if the house is occupied by people who won't / don't touch the controls, or perhaps are barred from doing so ...

in our case, controls will be within the Idratek set-up ...

OTOH, button modules could be programmed to provide up & down facilities ...

OTOOH, high thermal mass situations (eg: many UFH set-ups) are perhaps best left on 24/7 & left alone - plus, adjusting up & down can be bad for efficiencies (not only in itself, but also because people tend to exaggerated their demands)
                  Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 4 December 2011, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X