• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Geps
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2010

Terminate Unused Cat5 At Node 0?

As per the title really.....starting thinking about what I should do with all the unused 'just in case' cables I'll be running...

As I see it,
    A)Terminate it as it's there when you need it

B) leave it in roof space/walls so as to avoid flooding Node 0 with more cabling than necessary.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
  • JonS
    Automated Home Guru
    • Dec 2007

I've still got numerous future-proofing cables from my install. I've terminated some but its v low priority. Most of these come through to N0, but are coiled out of the way rather than inaccessible in the roof/floor space above.
    2p
    JonS

Comment

• katman
      • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Geps View Post
      A)Terminate it as it's there when you need it

B) leave it in roof space/walls so as to avoid flooding Node 0 with more cabling than necessary.
      I would say a combination of the two.

If you have any unpopulated ports on a patch panel then terminated unused cables until its full.

You can easily add more patch panels when you need to terminate some more but terminating additional cables onto an existing patch panel at a later date is awkward due to all the patch leads which will make removal of the panel more difficult.
      KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
      http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

most of ours are spares, because we tripled what we positively identified as needed, and we terminated all bar two, and those two we left coiled in Node0 ...

Cat-6 & Cat-5e have many uses, beyond just networking, it's almost bound to be useful ...

broadly speaking, our Cat-6 is for networking, and having spares means it's easy to move things about - things including laptops, cameras, etc ...

and our Cat-5e is for point to point communication, of whatever sort, and having spares means it's easy to join anything to anything ...

and having them all already terminated helps to make it easy ...
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• MichaelD
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by katman View Post

If you have any unpopulated ports on a patch panel then terminated unused cables until its full.

You can easily add more patch panels when you need to terminate some more but terminating additional cables onto an existing patch panel at a later date is awkward due to all the patch leads which will make removal of the panel more difficult.
          I'm with Katman, attach them into spare points on patch panels, document everything to death, then future jobs all get much easier.

Comment

• MichaelD
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by katman View Post

I'm with Katman, attach them into spare points on patch panels, document everything to death, then future jobs all get much easier.

Comment

Working...
            X