Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Pi nears launch

Default On Sale or will be shortly

It seems RS and Farnel are going to handle the distribution of the PI. Just been on the RS site and they are not for sale yet either that or they have sold out. The first batch is only a thousand units, and is also the model B version. Bit reminiscent of the old BBC Model B and Model A computers.
    Farnell's website seems to be down since this morning.Its still down now and its 14.42 (CET).
    Apparently no-one at Farnell this morning really knew what a Raspberry-Pi was.I guess they do now. RS don't seem that bothered and you have to register your interest, and can't buy.
    It seems ship date is anywhere from mid March to early April.
    Still haven't got one yet.
    Anyone else had success.
    Last edited by toscal; 29th February 2012 at 02:44 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Just tried to pre-order one but the Farnell site is definitely down I know have a page saying Site Temporary Unavailable. Maybe later.

Missed it too, have 'registered interest'. See model A getting 256 now.

M.

RS apparently haven't sold any, they are just taking details of prospective buyers who will then be sent purchase details. I guess this was an attempt to try and still have a functioning website.
    There is one on ebay selling for 95 pounds at the moment. Question is if he has none in stock and has pre-ordered them. Why would you pay 70 odd pounds more for one.
    Lead time now is at least 30 days before the new batch arrives.
    Last edited by toscal; 29th February 2012 at 07:43 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

wonder if the sell-out was contrived, to make a noise ... ?

either way, curious to know what people have in-mind to use them for ...

there are lots of possibilities, of course ...

but as part of / or as an add-on to an existing HA system, then what ... ??

My idea for them is to use at least one as a cheap XBMC box.
    Then another one for maybe heating control, but this will have to wait until the GPIO board becomes available.
    Also been looking at programming options and narrowed it down to Gambas and or Visual TCL. At least with TCL its easy to get it to run on any platform.

I agree with what the Raspberry Pi foundation are trying to do. As I have noticed a complete lack of decent computer skills from many people who supposedly did technical degrees.
    On my HND electronics course we actually had to design and build the computer from scratch, this included design the PCB as well, then get it to run programs. Out of the 25 in the class mine and four others worked first time.
    Also I guess the computers available at the time didn't have much in the way of off the shelf software. So you had to write your own. I have written several games for the commodore PET one was quite a hit at school.
    Even the BBC micro encouraged tinkering, I remember tinkering around with the analogue port on it and producing eye catching sound to graphics type displays.
    But I do feel that the main market will be from us hobbyists rather than schools. Unless they can come up with a complete training package for schools.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yesterday was definately not contrived. I was trying to get one immeadiatley after the announcement and the twitter traffic alone was huge. I think the demand was way way more than anyone expected. Especially for what is currently an uncased geek/developer toy even if it is cheap. Has anyone here managed to get one one a quick delivery? Farnell are currently reported as quoting end of April for delivery of the next batch.

I want to get one at least for XMBC or openelec. Once I've proved it, then one for each TV! Would like to use them as Mythtv frontends ideally, but officially this has been knocked down on the mythtv mailing lists due to the low amount of memory. Having said that I have ran the frontend on my Nokia N900 and it was fine with a "basic" theme, so I'll be trying it out with the "mythcenter" theme.

Gonna find more uses for them too.

You may want to read this

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

to ask an obvious question, looks like people see them as complementary :

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?topic=94348.0

Automated Home Jr Member

I've just seen a demo of one. I was very impressed and in my opinion it is a game changing device.

On paper it is easy to think it is just a super Arduino, Beagleboard or whatever, but when you see one working you will change your mind.

This will sell in millions, it will go into all UK schools and the next generation of hackers and IT entrepreneurs will use this. Just like the BBC micro and consoles spawned a generation of UK games programmers this will influence a new wave of developers.

This is the first board computer with everything you need to act as a home automation controller included. It uses so little electricity you could run it on battery for days (so immune to power cuts). You can't brick it as all the software is on SD card. It is network enabled. It has amazing graphics for such a cheap device and indeed it is so cheap you can replace it without noticing the cost. It is dead easy to interface, has GPIO, camera and lcd interfaces(can potentially use cheap mobile phone screens) and usb all as standard (or simple add-ons). Because everything is on SD card, backups are completely straight forward too.

On top of this it is open architecture. This means no startup costs for developers, no licencing fees. It will generate a massive amount of add-on hardware, clone boards and free software and this has already started.

Most HA controllers are PC's or expensive proprietary boxes - given the choice why get one of these if you can get HA software running on a Raspberry Pi? The Pi is a much better option, resilient and super cheap.

If you are in Home Automation as a supplier you need to evaluate one of these and rethink what it means to the future of your product.
    Last edited by achapman; 9th March 2012 at 03:21 PM.