• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rhodeon
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2012

CM15 Pro Problems

I recently decided to finally take the plunge and ordered a CM15 Pro and 2 AM2G units. Very excited when the package arrived which was soon shattered when it failed to connect to my PC. A couple of days later and a number of emails to and fro from the suppliers I finally got it connected and working. Then came days and days of wasted hours trying to get the CM15 unit to behave itself.

Finally, I managed to get it all working and using the iPhone app which I was chuffed about except as soon as you do anything out of the ordinary like trying to use the system a few hours later it seems to die requiring hours more messing to get it to the CM15 working again and re-establish timings.

I've got to say that this is about the flakiest product I've ever come across. When it is working I bet it is great but it just stops and you don't know until you get your first failed task. Then you have to try all sorts of things to get it to reset. Why does it lose it's focus? Why can't you store the timings on the unit (instead of on your PC which then if I connect with laptop I need to redo all of the timings). I'm not doing anything other than timings. No macros.

What is the point of the battery? If I lose power to the hub then I've probably got more of a power problem in general. Looking at the forum there seem to be same problems from about 6 years ago that still haven't been sorted. As I seem to have to reset the CM15 a few times a day I don't want to damage the battery connections but taking it our each time. I get better success out of a bunch of timers connected to different devices. I was hoping to use X10 to get away from having to go and change each one for daylight saving, winter, Christmas etc but this seems like a much better solution than X10 as it is so flaky.

I'm sure I must be doing something wrong as I can't believe there would be so many users of such a difficult product. Is it normal to get such teething problems? I have not been able to get my CM15 to connect since yesterday afternoon which includes leaving it off all night. Stop / starting things in different order etc etc.

As you can see, I'm a little fed up.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

What software are you using on your PC.
    Timings and also macros can be stored on the unit. Just go to the Tools menu and you will see a download option in the Active Home Pro software
    The CM15Pro prefers to be connected directly to a USB port rather than go through a USB hub.
    The battery is to keep the internal clock going in the event of a power failure.
    It seems you may have a dodgy unit or as an outside possibility a dodgy USB cable. Never experienced any of those problems with the 2 units I have installed for clients. If your problems continue I would suggest you return it and ask for another CM15.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rhodeon
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2012

Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Using Active Home Pro 3.308

May have misled as when I used the term hub I meant the CM15. I'm plugging directly into the USB port on the laptop.

Good idea about the USB cable. I've tried a different one with no change in result and tried the cable I was using with the CM15 on an external drive which still works fine.

On another note, the CM15 seems to get very hot as well. Is this normal behaviour?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

They normally get warm.
        Send it back and get a new one.
        Which version of the Active Home software do you have is it from Marmitek or BMB or another source.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• rhodeon
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2012

This gets hot, not just warm.

Using the Marmitek software.

Got a returns number so sending it back tomorrow.

Comment

• rhodeon
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2012

BTW - I got totally new CM15 and it worked 1st off out of the box and has been since I got it. Occassionally one of the Application Units doesn't switch on when it is supposed to even though I have staggered times by 5 mins between the 2 units that I have. No biggie. And I can control it from my iPhone which is welll cool.

Now, I need to find out if I can connect it to my IB-NAS4220-B which I've recently brought back into service. It can run apps but doubt it will let me do what I want to do. Shame, that would be a perfect solution to be able to connect the CM15 and run the AHP and X10 Commander software on it.

Comment

Working...
            X