• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

Siemens's new home control range in B&Q

Hi all,

Went to get a couple of things in B&Q today, and noticed that they are selling a new range of Siemens home control products (dimmers, sockets, remotes, thermostats, radiator valves, etc). They look really good in a German bauhaus sort of way, and the prices aren't too bad either - around £29 for a 1-gang dimmer. Oh and within they same range they also have dimmable CFL bulbs both ES and BC.

Does anyone know anything about them? In particular which protocol do they use? It would be a dream come true if they are compatible with Home Easy, but that is pretty unlikely.

Thanks.
  • wywywywy
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2005

By the way I have the B&Q link but can't find it on Siemens's website.

Comment

• Quinten
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • May 2004

They look awfully familiar to http://www.lightwaverf.com/productsLighting.php

Cheaper though!

I'm using BBSB extensively around the house and have been very happy with them, but the lack of manufacturer support and dwindling supply is making me look around again for an alternative, and this may just fit my budget... as much as I like ZWave, it is just too expensive
      Awooga!!!

Comment

• wywywywy
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2005

Interesting. They also have a module called "Wifi Link" and an iOS app for £99.

Comment

• Quinten
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • May 2004

Originally posted by wywywywy View Post
          Interesting. They also have a module called "Wifi Link" and an iOS app for £99.
          http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...th-Review.html has lots of info and screenshots of the iOS app...
          Awooga!!!

Comment

• Vangelis
            Automated Home Guru
            • Sep 2009

I am using this product from B&Q, and also noticed the difference in price from the lightwaverf reseller!

I have the dimmable light switches and the WiFi link (along with the iPhone app)

If you want cheap simple control they are just the trick - you are able to run some timers / schedules (stored on the WiFi link and not the iPhone), but I know the developer is struggling with some of the functionality behind these.

As for the protocol, a friend actually sniffed his network to find out how it works and it basically send out a 'string' cmd to control the lights, which can be easily replicated. I might even have a play with an Arduino and an Ether Shield to inject my own sequences...

Comment

• Quinten
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • May 2004

Originally posted by Vangelis View Post
              If you want cheap simple control they are just the trick - you are able to run some timers / schedules (stored on the WiFi link and not the iPhone), but I know the developer is struggling with some of the functionality behind these.
              In what sense?

As for the protocol, a friend actually sniffed his network to find out how it works and it basically send out a 'string' cmd to control the lights, which can be easily replicated. I might even have a play with an Arduino and an Ether Shield to inject my own sequences...
              You mean, the app sends a string command to the wifi link, which then acts on it? If so, that is good to hear, as with my BBSB online controller I have the ability to turn lights on/off at my demand using the command line, and I would certainly not want to go without that level of control...
              Awooga!!!

Comment

• Vangelis
                Automated Home Guru
                • Sep 2009

All I know is that the Scheduler and Timers can be a little 'buggy' - but the developer is working on this and there is alot of chatter from users of this equipment.

As for the coms - When looking at how the iPhone app talks to the WiFi link for 'real-time' control, yes it just sends a string cmd to it (which can be picked up using WireShark or similar), I expect this consists of an ident and % dim level (for light controls)

Comment

• Quinten
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • May 2004

I've since posting this morning found a lot more about the wifi-link, including php control of devices, but as there is no status available, I'm most certainly going to give this a miss.
                  Awooga!!!

Comment

• kev_t
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Jun 2004

Sales Display

For those who don't or wont go into BnQ (don't you hate those self service tills...), here is are some pics of the LightwaveRF/Siemens Sales Displays.

This sales display has been installed in the same space previously occupied by Home Easy

kevint
                    Attached Files

Comment

• RMI
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Feb 2008

Stock available :-)

Originally posted by Quinten View Post
                      They look awfully familiar to http://www.lightwaverf.com/productsLighting.php

Cheaper though!

I'm using BBSB extensively around the house and have been very happy with them, but the lack of manufacturer support and dwindling supply is making me look around again for an alternative, and this may just fit my budget... as much as I like ZWave, it is just too expensive
                      Just briefly - I have approx 100 of the 'classic' BBS 4A sockets. They are units that *I* have refurbished - some light cosmetic marking - 30 day guarantee. £9 each (plus delivery). Can probably arrange a small discount on large(ish) orders, if you or anyone else is interested! Email me / see www.domialifestyle.com to place an order / make enquiries. Actually, best to email me, else shopping basket may incorrectly charge the shipping fee.

N.B. have sold 80 over the last 7 months or so. Not one failure! I have 10 ready to go at the moment, but will need a few days to update & stress test the rest!

Back on topic - my second closest B&Q has the WiFi unit in stock. I have to get one to look into Harmony support. If anyone wants a 'lightly used' one in a few weeks, I'll accept reasonable offers.

Regards,

Rob

Comment

• RMI
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Feb 2008

Share?

Originally posted by Vangelis View Post
                        I am using this product from B&Q, and also noticed the difference in price from the lightwaverf reseller!

I have the dimmable light switches and the WiFi link (along with the iPhone app)

Has your friend documented his findings about the protocol? If so, would (s)he be willing to share?

Thanks

Comment

• kev_t
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Jun 2004

Lightwave Protocol

"Has your friend documented his findings about the protocol? If so, would (s)he be willing to share?"

Someone already has I think

kevint

Comment

• RMI
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Feb 2008

Excellent - thanks Kevin!

Comment

• Quinten
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • May 2004

Hi Rob, fancy seeing you here

With regards to BBSB supplies, I am referring to the ceiling dimmer... and the silence on their forums.

Incidentally, my B&Q didn't have anything on display when I went in last Saturday...
                              Awooga!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X