Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Siemens's new home control range in B&Q

Automated Home Lurker

Smile Stock available :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Quinten View Post
    They look awfully familiar to http://www.lightwaverf.com/productsLighting.php

Cheaper though!

I'm using BBSB extensively around the house and have been very happy with them, but the lack of manufacturer support and dwindling supply is making me look around again for an alternative, and this may just fit my budget... as much as I like ZWave, it is just too expensive
    Just briefly - I have approx 100 of the 'classic' BBS 4A sockets. They are units that *I* have refurbished - some light cosmetic marking - 30 day guarantee. 9 each (plus delivery). Can probably arrange a small discount on large(ish) orders, if you or anyone else is interested! Email me / see www.domialifestyle.com to place an order / make enquiries. Actually, best to email me, else shopping basket may incorrectly charge the shipping fee.

N.B. have sold 80 over the last 7 months or so. Not one failure! I have 10 ready to go at the moment, but will need a few days to update & stress test the rest!

Back on topic - my second closest B&Q has the WiFi unit in stock. I have to get one to look into Harmony support. If anyone wants a 'lightly used' one in a few weeks, I'll accept reasonable offers.

Regards,

Rob

Automated Home Lurker

Default Share?

Quote Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
    I am using this product from B&Q, and also noticed the difference in price from the lightwaverf reseller!

I have the dimmable light switches and the WiFi link (along with the iPhone app)

If you want cheap simple control they are just the trick - you are able to run some timers / schedules (stored on the WiFi link and not the iPhone), but I know the developer is struggling with some of the functionality behind these.

As for the protocol, a friend actually sniffed his network to find out how it works and it basically send out a 'string' cmd to control the lights, which can be easily replicated. I might even have a play with an Arduino and an Ether Shield to inject my own sequences...
    Has your friend documented his findings about the protocol? If so, would (s)he be willing to share?

Thanks

Smile Lightwave Protocol

"Has your friend documented his findings about the protocol? If so, would (s)he be willing to share?"

Someone already has I think

http://blog.networkedsolutions.co.uk/?p=149

kevint

Automated Home Lurker

Thumbs up

Excellent - thanks Kevin!

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

Hi Rob, fancy seeing you here

With regards to BBSB supplies, I am referring to the ceiling dimmer... and the silence on their forums.

Incidentally, my B&Q didn't have anything on display when I went in last Saturday...

Automated Home Lurker

Indeed, small world

I'm told by BBS they have more kit arriving, but I don't know if this will include ICD's.

Personally, I was never a fan of the dimmers. Too complicated to reliably operate blindly / automatically because of the "double effect" of the on command, and lack of feedback.

Have you found a reliable way around this, or happy to live with them as they are?

As for the forum - rather baron isn't it it's a shame really - until I left it was quite a busy & useful resource (IMHO). Ah well.

Will post back when I get kit from B&Q and had chance to play.

Rob

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RMI View Post
    Indeed, small world

I'm told by BBS they have more kit arriving, but I don't know if this will include ICD's.

Personally, I was never a fan of the dimmers. Too complicated to reliably operate blindly / automatically because of the "double effect" of the on command, and lack of feedback.
    Lack of feedback is the same, whatever you use from BBSB. The online controller catches a lot, but not everything...

Have you found a reliable way around this, or happy to live with them as they are?
    I'm not relying on status At least, not in great deal...

As for the forum - rather baron isn't it it's a shame really - until I left it was quite a busy & useful resource (IMHO). Ah well.

Will post back when I get kit from B&Q and had chance to play.

Rob
    Please do!

Automated Home Lurker

I didn't realise the b&q deal was with JSJS thought it was Siemens direct but pleased it wasn't like that.

http://www.livecharts.co.uk/share_pr...ws4579779.html

Once I did I bought a wifi link and a 3 socket set to get me going and see what I think and if I want to go for sockets and switches longer term, Setup was easy and I have it all working very quickly.

Hoping to move and if we do I am going to automate one room with sockets and switches to begin with and see how it goes and add it where it adds usefulness across the how, and maybe the radiator valve.

Automated Home Lurker

Default Some concerns

I bought into the system a few months ago and apart from the odd faulty piece of hardware the system works well.

The biggest let down is the software especially if you use android.
    When i first joined the site technical support was really good.

But of late they have become very reluctant to answer any lets say direct questions.

Then today they announced that although they were happy to keep running the site they would not answer anymore technical questions.

In fact the way i read it they would just let us get on with it and they would not get involved full stop.

Any problems or technical questions will now be dealt with a help line but not connected to the forums.

Automated Home Jr Member

Maybe we should ask the mods to create a dedicated LightwaveRF Forum here on AutomatedHome?

That way we can openly discuss the system and protocols with little interference from JSJS designs. Obviously any support will be entirely community based, but there is always the official LightwaveRF helpdesk if anyone has issues they want formal support for.
    Last edited by fredd500; 9th March 2012 at 01:28 PM.