• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sichedelic
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2009

Scene Setting ideas

Hello,

As the days start to shorten down under, I'm again editing my scene settings to accommodate the lowering light levels. As I was doing this I was wondering if there could be a better way to achieve the same affect, but without the seasonal modifications to the scene setting object that I seem to do four or so times a year.

Of course, there may be methods to already achieve what I am suggesting so please let me know if I can 'skin this cat' another way. Here are my (possibly crazy) feature ideas for the scene setting object:
    • Enabling the scene setting object to be tied to a measured light level (an external light level, rather than the room maybe) and not a time of day. This would be ideal for my situation as it would remove the need to edit the scene settings four times a year to accommodate the changing light levels.
    • Having a scene setting object that changes the light profile from the time the light is enabled. What I would like to do is walk into a room, turn on the light and then have the scene setting gradually reduce the light level over a period of time. I would like the light to gradually go from say 100% to 60% over the first 5 minutes the lights are enabled. Once the lights are turned off, the light level would reset back to 100%. The reason for this is that I find the kids turning the lights up to 100% brightness (they don't like my scene settings) and leave it at this brightness (until the scene setting is applied at 15 minute intervals when then they scream blue murder at me). Ideally if the light would reduce from 100% to ~70% very gradually over 5 minutes then they wouldn't notice, thus achieving the savings that I'm trying to achieve.
    • Having a feature of the scene setting object that prevents the scene setting being applied IF the dimmer level has been manually set AND the room has stayed occupied. The reason for this is that I find I sometimes come into a room that has a scene setting I don't want, so I manually adjust the dimmer only to have it reset during the next scene setting refresh (every 15 minutes or less). If Cortex could observe that I have manually changed the light level and am still present in the room then it could NOT reapply the static scene setting. This would help stop some of the abuse I receive from the the kids (and sometimes the wife) when this happens :-).

Those ideas all make sense in my head, the question is have I articulated them accurately enough to make it sound like I'm not nuts?? :-)

Appreciate any input.
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

interesting - we're about to install some outside sensors to provide some sort of reference, to help do something similar (*), but we can't decide exactly where to put them ... they'll need to have a good view, but also be protected from the worst of the weather & kept out of the way of the Sun as it progresses through the day, and of shadows, similarly, and not be shaded by people, and ... tricky !

(*) the idea, in our case, being that we'd be more comfortable if light levels reduced as the evening progresses - early evening, when the lights come on, they always seem too dim, later they always seem too bright !
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
    X