• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmagowan
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2012

PIR sensors alternatives

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to use an IP camera internally instead of a PIR sensor. I am thinking of installing a Fibaro Z wave system which can accept IP cameras. Ideally I would like the ip camera to trigger an alarm in the same way as a PIR would. You can get ip cameras with PIR. The problem with all the Zwave PIR's is they are completely wireless and I want them powered to avoid continuous battery changes. The IP camera would obviously add further functionality but I am unaware of any limits to numbers etc. Any ideas would be gratefully received.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

I guess you are thinking of using the motion detector system in the camera themselves. This can either work well or be a bit hit and miss.
    Which type of IP camera are you thinking of.
    If you select the correct batteries they should last for at least 12 months. Energizer Lithiums are excellent, but pricey. I have had these in normal wireless PIRs and they have lasted well over 18months. And on certain devices they are still working after 2 years.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• pmagowan
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2012

Hi
      I have not choosen the camera yet. My real problem is the batteries and I am looking for a soultion. It may be to hack the PIR sensor and put a powered supply. Alternatively use a wired PIR and attach a fibaro relay to it to get the signal to zwave. Or alternatively buy the very expensive wired Agus sensors. The other big problem with z-wave is there are no thermometers for measuring pipe temperatures etc. It would be good if there was a one wire sensor solution.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X