Thread: xAP Weather Schema Schema add change request

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Jr Member pete_c's Avatar

Funny cuz my direction is to do an xAP Flash configuration on an Arm based 800Mhz touchscreen device (already based in custom flash) and in addition using the Jogglers for a similiar purpose (Intel based CPU). Response times are very quick. I did a chroot on the Arm Based 800Mhz devices; but they are still slow. Even faster was the Seagate dockstar with a Mimo USB monitor attached to it.

I think given the approach is to enhance the existing schema we shouldn't deprecate existing tags so AirPressure needs to stay (implied hPa), inconsistent as it is.

PressureTrend=falling|steady|rising ?
    or maybe even a numeric
    PressureTrend=-3.2 based on hourly or whatever is the key period or something ?
    Historically mostly just paid attention to whether the barometric pressure was steady, rising or falling; not so much the rate though. Thats me though. I agree that we shouldn't depreciate the existing tags Kevin.

Yeah, I've had to create maps/documentation/drawings of all of my 1-wire sensors as I am using them for many things lately. IE: also added new water meters to track water usage via counters. Yes I use BSC today for all of the 1-wire sensors. After 10 years of using the AAG weather instrument I have now noticed that it over reports wind speeds something maybe related to debounce even after modification of said device. Found this out comparing it to the Fine Offset / Davis weather instruments.

The oldest 1-wire weather station stuff I have in place is made up of:

1 - AAG / Dallas Design anemometer (flawed design anyways)
    2 - Pagoda (with a combo humidity, temperature and light sensor) - which quit reporting humidity and light after about 6 months or so.
    3 - Lightning sensor - with a battery still running just fine after 6 years or so.
    4 - Rain tipping bucket (Dallas design) - still works fine.
    5 - a couple more outside 1-wire combo sensors (temp, humidity and light).
    6 - not related to 1-wire I also put a GPS antenna on the same mast for time sync / geographic location stuff.

The 1-5 above I would consider one entity of a weather station and it is on one 1-wire network and doing so so after about 10 years.

I have recently enabled both the Fine Offset and Dallas weather instruments for comparisons' sake and see a difference.

You are right Kevin; there is a huge variety of 1-wire sensors which would make it difficult to standardize in the weather dot report schema; but many folks today still utilize 1-wire weather stations as an introduction to "weather watching".

That's said I agree with you relating to the 1-wire "stuff" and will continue to utilize the BSC schema for 1-wire instruments reporting.
    Last edited by pete_c; 12th February 2012 at 06:29 PM.