• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaffab
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2008

Questions about the SVX10

Hi all,

i have recently had an extension added to my house, and a couple of X10 devices in there are not working as expected - I suspect the signal is just not that strong in there (the rest of the house seems fairly good).

I have seen that a new device, an SVX10 (well its new to me) is available and seems to be a repeater/amplifier.

I am wondering if this would help - would it, as the name suggests, be able to be installed somewhere close to the extension and would boost the signal to that area?

Bit confused on the description of the device - talking about needing a KFX. But I dont think this applies as I dont think I have a 3 phase power system in place.

Can anybody confirm?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The SVX10 is a repeater rather than an amplifier.
    It will only repeat the commands, rather than amplify them.
    You may want to have a look at the XTB
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• jaffab
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Dec 2008

Ohh - now that looks interesting. I assume that the signal boost from this thing is not going to damage/fry any electrical equipment. Of course, the worry is installing an uncertified bit of kit on the mains - should it go fizz and burn the house to the ground, nothing would be covered.

Regarding the SVX10 - if it just repeats, but its positioned near the extension but in an area where I know I can get a signal, wont it just repeat and therefore boost anyway (i.e, pass on the X10 command down the line?)
      __________________________________________________ _______________________
      My life is Home Automation, and my PS3 clan friends at http://www.ps3crowd.com

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Yes, sort of. A repeater will normally repeat the signal at just under 5V.
        The Spec for the X10 signal is 4 to 5V if I recall correctly. Most units will except a signal as low 1.5V and some even lower. I have seen signals as low as 0.9V excepted by Xanura and Act micromodules.
        Good news is that Lets Automate now sell the XTB.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X