Thread: ROOMBA DISCOVERY - Now in the UK

Default ROOMBA DISCOVERY - Now in the UK

Domestic Robot fans take note - the awsome ROOMBA DISCOVERY robotic vacuum cleaner is now available in the UK. Robotics experts Mower Magic have the original silver Roomba, the new Roomba Red and the new Roomba Discovery, plus all the accessories and spares. ALso available are the Electrolux Trilobite and the Karcher RC3000 Robocleaner so there really is something for everyone!

Just visit Mower Magics Robotic World here:

http://www.mower-magic.co.uk/acatalo...tic_World.html

Great!

Default Re: ROOMBA DISCOVERY - Now in the UK

Hi I got my Discovery from here on Tuesday, and its Fantastic, had the Blue Pro before this and that was good, but this is are far better Design must easier to clean and the suction seems loads better.

I give it Five stars :lol:

(From PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1658419,00.asp)

A Robot in Every Roomba

Why would anyone want to hack a vacuum cleaner? Because it's a robotics platform. If you're into the software side of robotics, a Roomba will give you the hardware platform—motors, wheels, sensors, battery, and charger that you would otherwise have to obtain elsewhere, a process that would be an expensive and time-consuming obstacle to your project. The Roomba isn't rugged enough for a BattleBot, but it's perfect for experimentation.

One approach is to do brain surgery on the unit, replacing its microcontroller with a popular, easy-to-program controller such as the Basic Stamp. The Zoomba was an early attempt at such a device, but it never made it past the prototype stage. Another effort, dubbed RoombaBT, has as its goal a Bluetooth-enabled Roomba, so you can direct your vacuum wirelessly, even from your cell phone. You can stay up-to-date on various Roomba hacks at www.roombacommunity.com and get step-by-step disassembly instructions at www.tla.org/roomba/.

Great product, I will buy one when they come closer to the US price of $250 (about £130). Actually, if anyone is looking for one there have been a couple on eBay for about £200.

Matt

Buy one from Ebay US and have it shipped - I've had mine for at least 2-3months now using a standard US convertor

Hi,

Will the roomba clean my 4 rooms downstairs, they are wooden floors or do I have to do a room at a time.
    Thinking of leaving the room doors open and letting it get on with it.

What do you guys in the UK do for the power supply, as it comes with an American Plug, and also how do you deal with voltage step down or whatever is required?

Would love to hear your answers as i've just bought one, and blown the charger by putting it into the shaver point at 250 & 120 volts!

Now awaiting a 2nd charger but may have damaged battery also!

Cheers
    Ant

Quote Originally Posted by phantomsteve
    (From PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1658419,00.asp)

A Robot in Every Roomba

Why would anyone want to hack a vacuum cleaner? Because it's a robotics platform. If you're into the software side of robotics, a Roomba will give you the hardware platform—motors, wheels, sensors, battery, and charger that you would otherwise have to obtain elsewhere, a process that would be an expensive and time-consuming obstacle to your project. The Roomba isn't rugged enough for a BattleBot, but it's perfect for experimentation.

One approach is to do brain surgery on the unit, replacing its microcontroller with a popular, easy-to-program controller such as the Basic Stamp. The Zoomba was an early attempt at such a device, but it never made it past the prototype stage. Another effort, dubbed RoombaBT, has as its goal a Bluetooth-enabled Roomba, so you can direct your vacuum wirelessly, even from your cell phone. You can stay up-to-date on various Roomba hacks at www.roombacommunity.com and get step-by-step disassembly instructions at www.tla.org/roomba/.

The new discovery version costs $375 CAD in Canada
    http://www.robotshop.ca/c214690p16455794.2.html
    (they ship worldwide) - That's £165
    However "One year warranty available in north america only. If you leave outside of Noth America, you will need to supply 22VDC, 1.25A (or less) output transformer to be compatible with the Roomba"

I see it for £320 here - That's $731.39 CAD for flips sake!!

Anyway, read the Amazon.com product reviews... Roombas are *not* reliable so you definitely need the support/warranty.

And having read the reviews I'd only consider the latest model - Discovery