• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Benzoate
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2005

Custom home automation project

I wish to have a custom house automation that is completely controlled by a computer system which I intend to code in C++. However, I can't seem to find any interfaces to electronic components from a PC. Are there any products out there :?: Thanks
  • trasko
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2005

Re: Custom home automation project

I just signed up to say I am interested in a very similar thing. I have been looking/hoping for a home automation system that is of this structure:

- centrally controlled by software on a home PC the like.
    - wireless modules (or modules that use wiring of house) that can be added piece by piece.

what i keep seeing is things that require a lot of wiring or a dedicated "controller" or something else of the sort. I have no idea if it exists, but a set of wireless UPnP devices like light switches, door locks, motion sensors, temperature sensors would be exactly what i am looking for. Does this exists or am I way off track?

Thanks for your feedback

Comment

• CableTie
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2005

I am no authority on this but I would imagine that your best sourse of iterface eqip would be found more in industry. With so much machinery using computers to control and monitor there must be lots of interface equipment that would adapt to the home situation. Further more a great deal of the c code will exist also.

Paul
      http://www.kendal-i.co.uk

Comment

• vex
        Automated Home Guru
        • Feb 2005

Have a look at the Web Bricks products, which were launched a couple of weeks ago.

I am off to see them today, so hopefully should have a better idea of what can be done with it.

Basically, from what I have seen, and ethernet controller that plugs into the network and is controlled by the central PC and GUI.

Expand it by adding another web brick in another location.

I'll keep you posted.

Chris
        www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
        NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Benzoate
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2005

Ive not had much luck looking into industry based interfaces but I have found a product called a "Smart Box" by Economatics. It has 8 digital sensor inputs, 4 Analogue Sensor Inputs, 8 digital outputs and 4 analogue (motor) outputs and connects to a pc via USB or Serial connection. It is designed for school kids for use with a program called Logicator. Im not sure but I think that it could be good in a custom home automation project.

edit: here is the link if anyone is interested http://www.economatics-education.co....p?contentid=46

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
            Automated Home Guru
            • Feb 2004

Hi
            Have a look at the viom device which a lot of HA people are using...Theres also a network version of it as well ...

HTH
            Frank
            Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
            http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• vex
              Automated Home Guru
              • Feb 2005

I had a great meeting with O2M8 the manufacturers of the Web Brick.

Basically it has 12 TTL & 8 contact closure inputs, 8 contact closure outputs, a temp sensor port and DMX output, two analogue outputs 0-10v and a rotory input.

The limitation is only your mind, they have it listening to and contolling the lighting, heating, garage doors, RGB Leds to indicate actions and PIRs. Even SMS and Email control.

We are looking a packaging and a range of relay boards over the next week, thier stand at The Smart Home Show should be interesting.

Chris
              www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
              NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

IDRATEK provides a range of modular interface products dedicated to home automation applications.

The modules are networked using a wired bus with a highly efficient communication protocol. The bus is arbitrary topology so you can have several modules hanging off a single cable run. This provides for the leanest wired solution. An X10 gateway module allows X10 modules to be integrated into the network. Some RF wireless modules will become available in due course however you will find that if you want to achieve serious and secure home automation that a good part of the infrastructure will still need to be wired.

The IDRATEK system also includes a networked audio feature for delivering prompts, handsfree intercom, telephony, speech synthesis/recognition and other audio functions.

Although modules can be programmed to execute control tasks amongst themselves ('reflex capability'), a PC interface module also allows access to the networked modules from a PC such that the entire system can be controlled from the PC. It is possible to write your own software to do this but IDRATEK already provide a very powerful application known as Cortex. Cortex provides a whole range of home automation features - too many to describe here. Ofcourse you will be able to do the 'expected' things like automate heating, lighting, security, and access the system via telephone, e-mail, and web style interfaces - but that's just scratching the surface...

Best of all you will be pleasantly surprised by the prices.

For further details check www.idratek.com

Karam

Comment

Working...
                X