• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Voice ...

how to get something other than MS Mary & Mike ...

we're living with Mary, but she's not so clear ...

so, we'd like to get something better ...

if something exists ...

but, how ?
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • Gumby
    • May 2004

I got Cepstral Millie ages ago, still seems to work. Also tried the AT&T Audrey, but don't use it, can't remember whether it was because of problems or just didn't like the accent.

Not sure about Win 7 options.
    ----------------------
    www.gumbrell.com

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

Don't know if this link is any help.
      When I was running Homeseer, I used the Star Trek computer voice for certain messages. Such as "Captain incoming message" for new email. While its not a complete voice engine having certain messages pre-recorded as wav or mp3 files made it easy to use. I didn't like the TTS voices that MS supplied.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Yes of course you could even record your own voice for fixed messages but obviously for messages that deliver dynamic content you need a TTS engine and Cortex should work with any SAPI5 compliant engines. As Gumby suggests Cepstral Millie is a good choice for a UK English voice. You can find it and other voices here: https://www.cepstral.com/store/desktop-view

But there are no doubt a few other out there. You can download the Cepstral engines and try out before buying - the unlicensed versions inject suitable reminders into the speech :-)

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
          Automated Home Legend
          • Dec 2007

thanks, the two UK voices they offer (Lawrence & Millie, for about $30 each) seem quite good - especially with some speed & effect adjustment ...

also tried the Italian & German voices, speaking English, but didn't work so well ...

Comment

• stachoo
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2009

Another voice provider

I'm successfully using voices from http://www.ivona.com in my HA setup. For me quality is really excellent
            Kimberly is a very nice US-English voice, they seem to have a few decent UK-Voices too.
            Good luck!

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
              Automated Home Legend
              • Dec 2007

brilliant, thanks for that - we typed numerous test phrases & tried most of the voices - and quite took to the Amy one and, even better, the Emma one ... very clear & with a good flow !

Pity payment is via PayPal though ...
              Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 30 May 2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

• alldone
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2010

I have been toying with purchasing one of the Scottish voices from cereproc (free if you have a scottish public sector email address)

see http://www.thescottishvoice.org.uk/Audio-Sample/

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

they're quite good, too ...

as with others, to a degree, it has a strange acoustic, though - as if the voice elements were recorded in a quite boomy & acoustically noisy room that plays a bit at odds with the quietness of the spaces between ... sibilants are harsh, too, and the AVC is v.agressive ... it's as if recordings were made using some quite ancient language-laboratory equipment ! Still, that's listening with headphones - such things mightn't be noticeable in-practice ...
                  Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 31 May 2012, 09:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• alldone
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Mar 2010

There are other regional UK voices available from Cereproc directly too.

Some of these would be quite entertaining for a house voice.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

yep - the Jess one seems particularly clear, with v.smooth transitions between words ...

for us, looks like the choice is between CereProc Jess & Ivona Amy or Emma - no harshness & all clear enough to play at lowish volumes ...

Comment

Working...
                      X