Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Door Entry

Automated Home Sr Member ludditeal's Avatar

Smile

Ohhh... that looks exciting

Automated Home Sr Member

Just about to order an AUI. I am trying to interface it to androids though, rather than use a DFP. Shall post the outcome....

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

>interface it to android ...

via local WiFi or the long way 'round (via the 'net) ??

Automated Home Sr Member

Local wifi. Shall try with my phone first

Quote Originally Posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
    Are you wanting an icon that is essentially an app - and so is literally a one press from the iPhone home screen to perform a function - or would you be happy launching an app that then displayed a number of buttons to do what you want. If the latter then this will work for you via xAP into Cortex :-)

The HTML5 solution looks great - and if of course a great cross platform solution - it's about time we had some HA control appearing using this... It may also be a better solution outside of your LAN as xAP normally uses broadcast UDP which of course doesn't route over the Internet. You can work around this using an app called 'iServer' running at home which is a way of transporting xAP over TCP / Internet.

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 22nd April 2012 at 12:35 PM.

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

not sure - one touch approach could be good, two could be OK, time to respond also a factor, as also range of operation ...

scenario is probably characterised by mother arriving home with demanding baby on one arm & 'phone in pocket or handbag ...

and wanting to get indoors via one of three different doors ...

with alternatives of a bunch of traditional keys and something like wall-mounted keyboards ...

so while it needs to be simple & quick, the competition won't put up much of a fight !

and Cortex could probably up the ante by making it functionally quite smart, too - eg: context-sensitive timings & joining-up with other things ...

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 22nd April 2012 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by smoothquark View Post
    Just about to order an AUI. I am trying to interface it to androids though, rather than use a DFP. Shall post the outcome....
    To illustrate Cortex Mobile see the attachments.

Cortex Mobile Home Screen is the default appearance.

Various Cortex objects are attention seeking. That is they appear on the home screen automatically if it is anticipated you will want to interact with them. For example if the Alarm Pro is activated (intruder) then it will appear on the screen to allow you to disarm it.

A Visitor has pressed the button on the AUI. If you are not home the AUI can call you via Skype. Receiving this call you can visit the Cortex Web Server. The “AUI seeking attention.jpg “ shows the AUI now appearing on the home screen automatically. You could have navigated to it using favorites or rooms or Structure.

You can visit the AUI Control page (AUI Control.jpg). Because of its state various buttons are present. So you can unlock the door (say).
    The Camera associated with the AUI is also offered and a snapshot could be taken to see who it is.

Viv
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Viv; 7th June 2012 at 06:55 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Viv View Post
    To illustrate Cortex Mobile see the attachments.

Cortex Mobile Home Screen is the default appearance.

Various Cortex objects are attention seeking. That is they appear on the home screen automatically if it is anticipated you will want to interact with them. For example if the Alarm Pro is activated (intruder) then it will appear on the screen to allow you to disarm it.

A Visitor has pressed the button on the AUI. If you are not home the AUI can call you via Skype. Receiving this call you can visit the Cortex Web Server. The “AUI seeking attention.jpg “ shows the AUI now appearing on the home screen automatically. You could have navigated to it using favorites or rooms or Structure.

You can visit the AUI Control page (AUI Control.jpg). Because of its state various buttons are present. So you can unlock the door (say).
    The Camera associated with the AUI is also offered and a snapshot could be taken to see who it is.

Viv
    Exactly what I am looking for! Waiting for Karam to send me an invoice!

For those who've had a chance to test the AUI / anyone had a chance to try the following?

- what video capture device have you used to translate the video back into PC land Skype?

- also I take it, 30fps is possible?

- Also has anyone tried it out making the skype call out (and if so, what's the video and audio sync and quality like)?

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by marcuslee View Post
    For those who've had a chance to test the AUI / anyone had a chance to try the following?

- what video capture device have you used to translate the video back into PC land Skype?

- also I take it, 30fps is possible?

- Also has anyone tried it out making the skype call out (and if so, what's the video and audio sync and quality like)?
    Had the AUI delivered about 3 weeks ago, and only really have had a chance to play with it. It is still sitting on my desk with a patch cable to connect to my cortex box sitting in the garage. Had some fun and games getting audio working. The problem was that I was using RDP to access my cortex box using by ubuntu desktop. Don't use RDP - it messes with the audio settings in Windows and disables whatever soundcard you have working with cortex, even after the session is over. Using VNC instead.

I can now play audio out to the AUI (the various test sounds). I have got skype working as well ( a separate account for the cortex box), calling my personal account on my android phone. The mic on the AUI is working flawlessly - very clear. Having a lot of problems with the speaker on the AUI - very poor quality via skype. However, sounds play well through that speaker when skype is not being used, so, surely, something wrong with my settings that I need to sort out (any help much appreciated).

As for video, I procured a cheapo USB video capture device from eBay. The video from the AUI goes into a balun and thence onto the brown pair of my CAT5 cabling and then back through another balun, phono plug and the composite input input in the USB device. Keeps crashing though - computer is stable without the USB capture device installed, so that must be the problem. Might try a PCI card to see if I have better luck. So, video is not really working properly at present.

Still very much work in progress - need to get the speakers and video sorted before I hack a hole by the front door to install the AUI. Might try disabling the video completely within cortex and use skype for the video. Ideally, I would prefer a non-skype IP type solution and use one of numerous android clients. However, skype seems to work OK, faster than expected, given that it is going to the outside world first.

Shall let you know how I get on for the next few days / weeks....