X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

not sure - one touch approach could be good, two could be OK, time to respond also a factor, as also range of operation ...

scenario is probably characterised by mother arriving home with demanding baby on one arm & 'phone in pocket or handbag ...

and wanting to get indoors via one of three different doors ...

with alternatives of a bunch of traditional keys and something like wall-mounted keyboards ...

so while it needs to be simple & quick, the competition won't put up much of a fight !

and Cortex could probably up the ante by making it functionally quite smart, too - eg: context-sensitive timings & joining-up with other things ...

Chris
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 22 April 2012, 01:13 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Viv
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Dec 2004

Originally posted by smoothquark View Post
      Just about to order an AUI. I am trying to interface it to androids though, rather than use a DFP. Shall post the outcome....
      To illustrate Cortex Mobile see the attachments.

Cortex Mobile Home Screen is the default appearance.

Various Cortex objects are attention seeking. That is they appear on the home screen automatically if it is anticipated you will want to interact with them. For example if the Alarm Pro is activated (intruder) then it will appear on the screen to allow you to disarm it.

A Visitor has pressed the button on the AUI. If you are not home the AUI can call you via Skype. Receiving this call you can visit the Cortex Web Server. The “AUI seeking attention.jpg “ shows the AUI now appearing on the home screen automatically. You could have navigated to it using favorites or rooms or Structure.

You can visit the AUI Control page (AUI Control.jpg). Because of its state various buttons are present. So you can unlock the door (say).
      The Camera associated with the AUI is also offered and a snapshot could be taken to see who it is.

Viv
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Viv; 7 June 2012, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• smoothquark
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Viv View Post
        To illustrate Cortex Mobile see the attachments.

Cortex Mobile Home Screen is the default appearance.

Various Cortex objects are attention seeking. That is they appear on the home screen automatically if it is anticipated you will want to interact with them. For example if the Alarm Pro is activated (intruder) then it will appear on the screen to allow you to disarm it.

A Visitor has pressed the button on the AUI. If you are not home the AUI can call you via Skype. Receiving this call you can visit the Cortex Web Server. The “AUI seeking attention.jpg “ shows the AUI now appearing on the home screen automatically. You could have navigated to it using favorites or rooms or Structure.

You can visit the AUI Control page (AUI Control.jpg). Because of its state various buttons are present. So you can unlock the door (say).
        The Camera associated with the AUI is also offered and a snapshot could be taken to see who it is.

Viv
        Exactly what I am looking for! Waiting for Karam to send me an invoice!

Comment

• marcuslee
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2009

For those who've had a chance to test the AUI / anyone had a chance to try the following?

- what video capture device have you used to translate the video back into PC land Skype?

- also I take it, 30fps is possible?

- Also has anyone tried it out making the skype call out (and if so, what's the video and audio sync and quality like)?

Comment

• smoothquark
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Oct 2009

Originally posted by marcuslee View Post
            For those who've had a chance to test the AUI / anyone had a chance to try the following?

- what video capture device have you used to translate the video back into PC land Skype?

- also I take it, 30fps is possible?

- Also has anyone tried it out making the skype call out (and if so, what's the video and audio sync and quality like)?
            Had the AUI delivered about 3 weeks ago, and only really have had a chance to play with it. It is still sitting on my desk with a patch cable to connect to my cortex box sitting in the garage. Had some fun and games getting audio working. The problem was that I was using RDP to access my cortex box using by ubuntu desktop. Don't use RDP - it messes with the audio settings in Windows and disables whatever soundcard you have working with cortex, even after the session is over. Using VNC instead.

I can now play audio out to the AUI (the various test sounds). I have got skype working as well ( a separate account for the cortex box), calling my personal account on my android phone. The mic on the AUI is working flawlessly - very clear. Having a lot of problems with the speaker on the AUI - very poor quality via skype. However, sounds play well through that speaker when skype is not being used, so, surely, something wrong with my settings that I need to sort out (any help much appreciated).

As for video, I procured a cheapo USB video capture device from eBay. The video from the AUI goes into a balun and thence onto the brown pair of my CAT5 cabling and then back through another balun, phono plug and the composite input input in the USB device. Keeps crashing though - computer is stable without the USB capture device installed, so that must be the problem. Might try a PCI card to see if I have better luck. So, video is not really working properly at present.

Still very much work in progress - need to get the speakers and video sorted before I hack a hole by the front door to install the AUI. Might try disabling the video completely within cortex and use skype for the video. Ideally, I would prefer a non-skype IP type solution and use one of numerous android clients. However, skype seems to work OK, faster than expected, given that it is going to the outside world first.

Shall let you know how I get on for the next few days / weeks....

Comment

• marcuslee
              Automated Home Ninja
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by smoothquark View Post
              Had the AUI delivered about 3 weeks ago, and only really have had a chance to play with it. It is still sitting on my desk with a patch cable to connect to my cortex box sitting in the garage. Had some fun and games getting audio working. The problem was that I was using RDP to access my cortex box using by ubuntu desktop. Don't use RDP - it messes with the audio settings in Windows and disables whatever soundcard you have working with cortex, even after the session is over. Using VNC instead.

I can now play audio out to the AUI (the various test sounds). I have got skype working as well ( a separate account for the cortex box), calling my personal account on my android phone. The mic on the AUI is working flawlessly - very clear. Having a lot of problems with the speaker on the AUI - very poor quality via skype. However, sounds play well through that speaker when skype is not being used, so, surely, something wrong with my settings that I need to sort out (any help much appreciated).

As for video, I procured a cheapo USB video capture device from eBay. The video from the AUI goes into a balun and thence onto the brown pair of my CAT5 cabling and then back through another balun, phono plug and the composite input input in the USB device. Keeps crashing though - computer is stable without the USB capture device installed, so that must be the problem. Might try a PCI card to see if I have better luck. So, video is not really working properly at present.

Still very much work in progress - need to get the speakers and video sorted before I hack a hole by the front door to install the AUI. Might try disabling the video completely within cortex and use skype for the video. Ideally, I would prefer a non-skype IP type solution and use one of numerous android clients. However, skype seems to work OK, faster than expected, given that it is going to the outside world first.

Shall let you know how I get on for the next few days / weeks....
              Thanks for reply - very insightful for those of us who haven't got it.

Looking forward to the update.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

we've two AUIs installed, and we've had mixed success ...

one by the front-door, one by the yard-gate ...

video side of things awaits us finding time to terminate the CT100 cables & then plug them into the IVC200 card in the Cortex PC ... but they're fully commissioned in Cortex, and visitors use them everyday ...

the front-door one works fine, in conjunction with our MFPs & door-solenoids & chime ...

the yard-gate one works not-quite fine - ie: we can't get the speaker to work ...

we've had several attempts, over time - and we think we've got both set-up the same, via Cortex ...

it's difficult to be sure, though, because our understanding of the functionality still leaves something to be desired - even after much reading of the various Helps ...

maybe the unit's faulty, but it seems unlikely ...

ie: we're struggling, too, with settings etc ...
                Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 30 July 2012, 01:37 AM.

Comment

• smoothquark
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2009

Got the speaker in the AUI working now . I was a little silly - had the "Front" on the "conversation" tab in the sound devices mixer in Cortex checked (should be unchecked). I have also had to add "Skype - Call ..." in the AUI button behaviour. Not sure if that's the right way to do it. Using the skype echo service to test - reasonably good quality - there are some clicks in the background though - my understanding is that it is due to the audio bus. Those of you with an intercom unit - do you get these clicks as well? Wonder if there is a way to sort it out? Next thing to do is for me to get the video working...

Comment

• marcuslee
                    Automated Home Ninja
                    • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                    we've two AUIs installed, and we've had mixed success ...

one by the front-door, one by the yard-gate ...

video side of things awaits us finding time to terminate the CT100 cables & then plug them into the IVC200 card in the Cortex PC ... but they're fully commissioned in Cortex, and visitors use them everyday ...

the front-door one works fine, in conjunction with our MFPs & door-solenoids & chime ...
                    Just out of interest, when you say door solenoids, that'd be like an electric strike (say with 12v applied and it'll unlock)?

If so, how do end users perform the 'door unlock'? Do you assign a button on your MFPs/DFPs, or via a DFP menu item?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Dec 2007

yep - two 24V solenoids in the jam, instead of the usual lock & catch ...

optional XRM relays on the AUI are used to switch them & the outside light, and a DRB on the inside is used to switch the inside hall light & a regular battery-operated door-chime ... with the DRB buttons Connected for over-ride of the hall light & local release of the solenoids, in-case of need ...

local & in-case of need, because the standard automatic procedures do the job - ie: visitor pressing AUI button initiates a default routine to which anyone home responds-to from a convenient MFP - pressing Cancel to reject or OK to start a hands-free conversation, optionally pressing OK again to release the solenoids, and Cancel again to end the session ...

the AUI button is also Connected to Pulse the Chime DRB relay - we needed the Chime, because people may not be quite close enough to an MFP to hear its annunciation ... plus everyone knows instinctively what it means, including visitors & guests ...

Comment

• marcuslee
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
                        yep - two 24V solenoids in the jam, instead of the usual lock & catch ...

optional XRM relays on the AUI are used to switch them & the outside light, and a DRB on the inside is used to switch the inside hall light & a regular battery-operated door-chime ... with the DRB buttons Connected for over-ride of the hall light & local release of the solenoids, in-case of need ...

local & in-case of need, because the standard automatic procedures do the job - ie: visitor pressing AUI button initiates a default routine to which anyone home responds-to from a convenient MFP - pressing Cancel to reject or OK to start a hands-free conversation, optionally pressing OK again to release the solenoids, and Cancel again to end the session ...

the AUI button is also Connected to Pulse the Chime DRB relay - we needed the Chime, because people may not be quite close enough to an MFP to hear its annunciation ... plus everyone knows instinctively what it means, including visitors & guests ...
                        Thanks Chris for the reply. the automatic procedure sounds interesting, is that a macro?

Also the MFP is that the old MFP or new DFP with LCD display?

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Dec 2007

>macro ...

no, just what the Idratek guys have provided - they have a default routine that annunciates that a visitor is calling, and goes on from there ... as usual, it's well thought-through, too ...

>MFP ...

yep, MFPs - we bought some a while ago, and some refurbished ones more recently - we prefer them to the DFPs ...

we're also fans of the standard modules - much the best, we think, of all the faceplates (three-pin, aerial, RJ45, etc) we have all-about the house ...

very odd, though, we think, that the MFPs & DFPs, both, don't match them, in style or in colour ...

Comment

• smoothquark
                            Automated Home Sr Member
                            • Oct 2009

Update: Still trying to get things to work

Connected via Skype.

Audio: two-way communication via Skype working. Lots of annoying clicks, though. I think this might be the voice activated thingy. Is this an issue using an intercom, as well?

Video: Still having problems. My USB Capture dongle kept crashing. I have bought a winnov videum 1000 VO capture card, and the camera on the door intercom is connected via a balun and brown pair to a composite cable and thence to the capture card. Using, the apps that come with the card, I can view the camera without any trouble. However, with Cortex running and the video window set to vfw (videum), there is only a black screen in both Cortex and the videum app. The "source input" combo is grayed out. I can only assume that cortex does not support a card with multiple inputs? I hope Karam / Viv can fix this. If I select IP camera on Cortex, I get the video back in the videum app. Shall try using VLC to stream the video as a workaround.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Dec 2007

SFAIK, multi-input cards should be fine - we've yet to try our camera, but we've fitted a four-channel IVC200 card, as recommended by Karam, and expect no issues ...

Comment

• smoothquark
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Oct 2009

Got the video working! Looks like Cortex somehow did not recognise that my capture card has multiple inputs, and I could not therefore choose the right one. Editing the registry directly did not work either. However, I found a program call wnvlink in the winnov videum folder, and this has managed to link the correct input to cortex. Persists on rebooting, so looks like it is a permanent workaround . Next step is to see if I can bypass skype and communicate with my android phone directly....

Comment

Working...
                                X