• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

LED Strip light dispersion

...this ones probably aimed more at Toscal

I am thinking of backlighting a 50" plasma and separate speakers with RGB LED bars. From what I can find out ala Google, is that modern LED strips have a dispersion angle of 120-130 degrees which is a little wide for my liking and the light tends to 'bleed' out behind the TV.

I was looking for something more uniform such as in the attached picture.

My question is... is this to do more with LED placement or the types of LED used and their associated covers / diffusers etc??
    Attached Files
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Its more to do with placement, and wall type and colour.
    Most of our RGB controllers have a dimming function on the static colours so it is possible to dial down the brightness.
    Flexistrip LED tape is probably a better solution as this can be cut to the nearest 5cm of the desired length. ie if the length is 152cm you would cut to 150cm. The flexistrips have a 3m double sided tape on the back making mounting very easy.
    Have you thought about control for the LEDs.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Vangelis
      Automated Home Guru
      • Sep 2009

Thanks Toscal...

I have been playing with an Ikea Dioder unit (4 strips of RGB LEDs with controller) this allows the cycling of light but is not dimmable.

So are you saying that the 'bleed' of the LED's...strips or tape is more a factor of their brightness? In essence I am playing with some cheap kit before committing to a 5m reel with RGB controller.

Are the LEDs better left alone, or diffused by some protective cover?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Yes. I would leave the LEDs as is.
        Just thought you could use epoxy coated strips, these are still very flexible but have a water clear flexible epoxy coating. May make it easier to clean after some months.

How wide are your speakers.
        Last edited by toscal; 20 April 2012, 05:27 PM.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
        X