• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wexfordman
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2005

Uk style momentary wall switches!

Hi,
    Anyone able to point me in the right direction to source some uk sized momentary wall switches? I'm looking for some reasonably priced chrome or brushed steel ones if possible!

Regards
    Eamon
  • bailers
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2010

Eamon,

These are great, available in all finishes and they do a retroactive (momentary) switch module. Just got some brushed satin ones which has maintained the WAF!

That is the manufacturer, you will have to google to find a supplier as I buy from my local electrical wholesaler!

Regards

Chris
    Last edited by bailers; 28 April 2012, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

perhaps this :

CyberSelect in Norwich, Norfolk is a supplier of Home Automation, Smart Home and Home Entertainment and Home Technology products

(momentary / retractive)
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 28 April 2012, 10:25 AM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
        perhaps this :

CyberSelect in Norwich, Norfolk is a supplier of Home Automation, Smart Home and Home Entertainment and Home Technology products

(momentary / retractive)
        The polished chrome face plates look pretty nice.

Comment

• Wexfordman
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2005

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies,looks like there area few nice options out there. The minigrid stuff looks quite nice, and relatively affordable too!

Comment

• Wexfordman
            Automated Home Guru
            • Nov 2005

Well ordered a couple of mini grid samples today, will post up some pics once I get them installed!

Thanks
            Everyone

Comment

• Paul_B
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2006

Sorry a bit late to the thread. I've used GET plc for my retractive switches as they offer normal single pattress modules with one or two switches and then a whole grid selection. From the website GET is now part of Schneider Electrics:

Schneider Electric UK. Browse our products in Ultimate Flat plate Screwless range. A complete range of socket outlets and switches with sophisticated styles to suit all interiors.

I also used them for a six grid array of RJ45 modules for behind the TV. When I don't need a retractive switch I swap to using cheaper Chelsea range from TLC-Direct as their brushed chrome faceplate is nearly identical.

Paul

Comment

• achapman
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2006

Though not cheap Forbes & Lomax do momentary flat plate switches in various finishes - http://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/forbes...h-p-18169.html
                and http://www.forbesandlomax.com/PBT_PB_A_1.html
                They describe them as dimmer switches, but they are momentary switches which they use to control a dimmer pack.
                Last edited by achapman; 3 May 2012, 10:05 AM.

Comment

• Wexfordman
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2005

Right,

As mentioned ordered a sample minigrid plate which took 3 retractive switches and put it in last week! Love them!!! Ordered a full set for the rest of the house (except kids rooms they can slum it) and just finished putting them all in!

Delighted, will post up some pics later tonight!

Regards and thanks

Eamon

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

Looking forward to the pics

Paul

Comment

• Wexfordman
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Nov 2005

Okay, here they are

Some pics as promised. I went for the screwless brushed steel plates and modules. Photos encosed show 3 module, 2 module and single module switches (i think 3 modules is max in a single gang plate). Again, have to say I am delighted with them, so much nicer in look, feel and use compared to the old clipsal momentary ones. Just to note on the photos
                      's some touching up is required with a bit of the paintwork, so please excuse!!

Hope no one minds also, think a plug for the retailer is on order, as they were excellent, and really quick with order/delivery and excellent prices too. As I am based in cork, i generally expect a longer delay than usual for delivery of stuff from the uk, but these guys were brilliant!

http://www.alertelectrical.com/ they also were excellent with support via email and phone, if you ring, ask for Nathan!
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Quinten
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • May 2004

Can I ask how they 'feel' when you press them? Do they require much force to press, or are they light? Do they make any noise when you press them?

I found the MK grid switches I have to heavy to push, and the ones I now have from Crabtree look horrendous.
                        Awooga!!!

Comment

• Wexfordman
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Quinten View Post
                          Can I ask how they 'feel' when you press them? Do they require much force to press, or are they light? Do they make any noise when you press them?

I found the MK grid switches I have to heavy to push, and the ones I now have from Crabtree look horrendous.
                          Hi quinten,

I would say they are as close in feel to a standard on/off switch as you can get! The only point you notice a difference is when they spring back at you! The old clipsal ones were also very stiff to the point you almost had to lean your weight in against them to switch them on/off

Sound? Not sure how I would describe it except that it wasn't something that struck me at all until you brought it up which prob means they sound normal I suppose! What I would do before taking the plunge perhaps is just order a sample switch and plate etc!

Regards
                          Eamon

Comment

• Wexfordman
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Nov 2005

noise/sound

Hi Quinten,

Thought a short clip might help give an idea of the sound you get from the modules:-

Comment

• Quinten
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • May 2004

Thanks, that gives me a good feeling as to how they sound. Not too dissimilar to the Crabtree switches I have, but miles better looking
                              Awooga!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X