• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul_B
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2006

DIN Mounting / Enclosures

Evening all,

For those that are using the QRH-001 DIN rail mounted relays how are you locating these? Are people mounting them in node-0 and then running cables to sockets or is the DIN rail closer to the point of control?

Many thanks

Paul
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

we've used a few, and done a bit of both ...

none in Node0, but in the plant room subsidiary nodes we've grouped them together in an enclosure (QRIs, in one case with some QRHs), and in other rooms we've lost them individually within built-in furniture at or near the point of use ...

generally, we did our breakers back in nodes, but distributed our IDRAtek modules ...
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Paul_B
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2006

Chris,

What enclosures have you used to house the DIN mounted devices? Is your new home raidal wired rather than ring? Finally, any pics showing how you've sited the enclosures and the cable runs?

Many thanks

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

Paul -

radial - no rings ...

with Node0 split over three locations, with the IPSs in the main one, and most modules (including some QRIs) spread-about to be located where the job's to be done ...

NB: work in progress ...

HTH

Chris
        Attached Files
        Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 1 May 2012, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Paul_B
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2006

Thanks Chris,

From the pics you seem to have it all well organised. To date I've been using modules up until now to control power sockets, but that means four modules for two sockets. I'm starting to think a better option would be DIN mounted units in cupboards and radial connections to sockets, that means two less modules and easier access.

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

Paul -

not sure I understand your two modules per socket arrangement ...

we've gone for pattress-mounted modules as much as we can, rather than DIN-rail mounted ones - we like their appearance, and the LED feed-back is often helpful, so having them on-view is not a problem, plus they are quite space efficient ...

OTOH, when IP-rating is important, we found DIN-rail mounted modules can come into their own ...

Chris

Comment

• Paul_B
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jul 2006

Chris,

What I was trying to say was that going with wall modules to independently control two power sockets requires 4 pattress modules; 1 x fused spur switch, 1 x Idratek DRH, then 2 individual sockets. If I went down the DIN mounted QRH route I would only need the two individual power sockets in the wall visually saving two modules.

In addition to the above we've been replacing the normal white sockets with flat brushed chrome so the white raised Idratek DRH doesn't really fit in.

In your installation how many sockets do you have on a single radial circuit? Did you use 2.5T&E from the CU to the QRH and the same to the individual power sockets or did you drop to thin cable from the QRH to the socket as it would be carrying less load?

Paul

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                Automated Home Legend
                • Dec 2007

Paul, thanks ...

to QRH, and same to ...

for us, though, we took the view that open sockets were for occasional use, so none are controlled by the HA set-up - the only ones that are being those used for built-in appliances, where the socket is normally out of reach & provided only to help with maintenance ...

ie: anything under Reflex / Cortex control is either wired-in or essentially wired-in, and all the open sockets will simply work when plugged-into - hopefully avoids confusion & provides a reliable fall-back should the HA stop working ...

Chris

Comment

• ludditeal
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Feb 2004

Just to post what I am in the process of doing.

We have a number of DIN modules that are mainly centralised in 2 locations. We have Hager VBR54 enclosures. One in the attic and one under the stairs. The attic one covers all the circuits in the bedrooms and bathrooms and the stairs one primarily covers the lounge/diner. In the kitchen I have 2 dimmers in a 16 way CU and the utility room has 1 dimmer to control the outside/wall lights.

The majority of the lighting is on QLD devices. Most sockets are on a mixture of QRI or QRH wired radially from the CU's. Some are going to be on QLD for lights. These have mainly been wired in 1.5mm. We live in an oldish cottage and the wife likes lots of lamps in windows and on cupboards hence being automated.
                  General sockets are on a couple of 20A radials on 2.5mm T&E.

I haven't fully decided what socket outlets faceplates I am going to put in. For the outlets which are almost always going to be lamps I plan to put the 5amp 3pin round. For the others I may just put an ordinary 3pin square but label it up as 4Amp or 10Amp MAX depending on the the module which backs them. What I am not sure is how this will go down with the electrician from the council when he comes to inspect at the end (I am doing my wiring under a building notice). Worst case I have to get some more 5amp outlets.

I have also created a "patch panel" of IEC chassis mount sockets as we have more socket outlets than there are Idratek outputs in some locations.

Cheers
                  Allan

Comment

• Paul_B
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2006

Hi Allan,

Any chance of some pics of your setup?

Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X