Thread: xAP Hub for Linux (Archlinux)

Automated Home Jr Member pete_c's Avatar

Default xAP Hub for Linux (Archlinux)

Are there any available xAP hubs for Linux out there?

Not a LInux guy but there's the code published for HAH LiveBox that I believe contains a hub , well maintained by Brett, and there's Patrick Lidstone's one..
    http://www.lidstone.net/html/infrastructure.html

K

Default Linux Hubs

Originally Brett's xAP Hub for the Livebox was based on Patricks, but he had some issues with it and made his own from scratch.

Patricks is no longer being supported (by patrick)

Ask in the forum for Livebox-HAH here http://www.homeautomationhub.com/forum

Source code is here http://code.google.com/p/livebox-hah...s/hah/xap-hub/

kevinT
    Last edited by kev_t; 4th May 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

I am using the code from Home Automation Hub on linux along with a couple of the executables as well as one i started writing to provide xap information from heatmiser thermostats. If you get a copy of the source code you then need to build xaplib first then the hub.
    I think i needed to copy the xaplib libraries into /usr/local/lib as well.
    If you go this route & have problems then just ask.

John

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by sparks View Post
    I think i needed to copy the xaplib libraries into /usr/local/lib as well.
    If you go this route & have problems then just ask.
    There are two way to compile up the xaplib2 library. You can compile dynamic or you can compile static there are targets in the make file for both. By default it compiles dynamic.

A dynamic xaplib2.so requires that this library be accessible by the xap-hub at runtime so yes ideally place is in a path that is searchable by ldd - either /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib

If you compile the xaplib2 library static the xap-hub binary will be a little large but it saves you this problem. On the HAH as flash space is precious I link everything dynamic to squeeze every little bit I can in. For a full Linux system its not so important.

If you run into any issues post on the forums at www.homeautomationhub.com

Brett

Thank-you guys.

On another note I'm having a wierd issue relating to the broadcasts of xAP. I have one Wintel box running 6 different xAP applications and testing a dockstar with Archlinux on it running one xAP application. The linux box gets most of the wintel broadcasts except for one. Its that whole issue relating to what Linux is hearing as configured versus what the Wintel boxes are getting.

Does the Linux box consistently miss the messages from one specific xAP device/application .. it maybe that the broadcast address is slightly different from that device e.g.

192.168.1.255 and 255.255.255.255

and does Viewer running on the Wintel box show all messages ?

If you resend the message with Viewer does it then reach the Linux box ?

Is it a very long message , or perhpas the last message sent in a burst by any chance ?

K
    Last edited by Kevin; 12th May 2012 at 12:08 AM.

Yes and yes.

The wintel viewer on same said box is showing all of the messages.

I have 6 individual xAP applications running on one wintel box. 5 are just 1-wire multiple sensors. The one that is sending automation commands is not getting to the Arch Linux box and it is using a different broadcast address. I read somewhere though that Linux doesn't hear it anyways. I've tested the viewer on a few of the wintel boxes and can get all of the device broadcasts on some and not on others. I am thinking (and maybe I am totally wrong here) of installing an xAP hub on the Archlinux box.

I haven't tried yet to rebroadcast the message with the viewer; it is short. I have though done a comparison in response speed relating to a test just using a W800 X10 repeater. It is as quick as a direct connect to the HA server.

Pictures are of the legacy setup and migration over to the Seagate dockstar running Archlinux and touchscreen of the application running on the Archlinux box.

IE: I currently have my Sprinkler system configured with 2 Rain8 nets directly connected to the Archlinux running dockstar. I am inputing weather information (both internet and live) via xAP to the Dockstar.

I have multiple devices hooked up to the wintel mothership (house is a sandbox - so have UPB, Z-Wave, X-10 and Insteon running). I only test the sprinkler solenoids in the spring and fall here and typically use an old X10 palm pad to turn on and off the solenoids.

I circumvented the issue by running another instance of another xAP program to get the broadcasts over to the Archlinux box; which works fine but makes my automation server run another application which it really didn't need to do.

The final goal though isn't related so much to the Archlinux sprinkler system but rather a few of the Jogglers running xAPFlash interfaces to the HA mothership.

I am very impressed with the response times showed to the xAP messages to and from each device on the network.

Historically always used xAP for just listening to the broadcast device (weather) but not so much for the back and forth messaging.

Here's a picture of my Archlinux / Dockstar / Rain8 dot net in the "Rainbird" box. The touchscreen has gone from a 7" 16:9 resistive to a 4:3 resistive and now maybe going to a 16:9 Joggler capacitance instead. I have two more cat5 cables running into the box where as I could connect a 1-wire 9097 / Temp0X directly to the box and run it on the Archlinux OS; but I would rather just use xAP.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pete_c; 12th May 2012 at 11:10 AM.