• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • beev
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2010

X10 troubleshooting

I've just set up my new flat with 8 X10 light switches and 6 motion detectors. I use a basic 4022UK transceiver.

Things are working pretty well, but every now and again a light just switches on or off unexpectedly. This is understandable if it's a light that's paired with a motion detector, but I've been getting it occasionally with a light that's paired with nothing.

I'm wondering where I should begin troubleshooting this.

My first thought is that maybe I'm getting random signals caused by interference. Maybe I need a plug-in filter, but it would be hard to determine where to use it since the problem is very occasional. I will try to assess if a particular device is causing interference, but I don't want to buy a filter if that's not the problem.

Another thought is to move a couple of my devices to a different house code. I have two lights switches which do not need to send or receive signals at the moment. Could it make a difference if I used them on a different house code to the others?

Could it make a difference if I move away from using house code A? Is that one more prone to interference from outside devices?

Could having a second transceiver in the form of a CM15Pro help me to tackle the problems? I'm thinking in terms of using two different house codes for the two transceivers, or perhaps using the two with the same house code to process signals more reliably. Is this something that could work?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Try the easiest solutions first, such as changing the house code. A whole house filter is a good bet.
    A CM15 Pro would be a good idea as this can help with the troubleshooting. As it will generate a log of all events, so you could see what is happening, you will need the ActiveHome software running as well.
    Also check the wiring to the modules, have found sometimes a loose connection can cause havoc.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Oh and when changing house codes don't use the very high codes such as anything after E or F as these are more prone to noise.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• beev
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2010

Thanks. Do you know if ActiveHome software can run on a Mac?

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

It doesn't
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• beev
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2010

With regard to the random switching on and off of lights, I managed to solve the problem by using different addresses.

I had it set up like this:
          Living room light: A3
          Hall light: A4 (with two motion detectors transmitting on A4)

It seems that sometimes the living room was picking up an A3 from one or both of those motion detectors.

I changed to this:
          Living room light: A4
          Hall light (and motion detectors): A15

All seems to be fine now.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Comment

Working...
          X