• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tizwaz
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2007

Light On Dimmer Won't Turn Off

Help..

The bathroom light is on a QLD-001, and after a Cortex restart (for windows updates) for some reason it now won't go off, even though Cortex says it's off.

If I manually switch it off using a switch, connected to a digital input, the bulb just dims and flickers.

I've tried turning the mains on and off to the circuit.. but no good, it still comes back on again and stays on.

Is the QLD broken?

Chris.

(I've now taken the bulb out... as per other half's instructions!)
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Sounds a bit strange that Cortex doesn't control it yet a switch connected to a digital input has some effect even though not as desired. Also strange that things should change just as a result of a Windows update.

Just to ensure everything is at a known starting point, if you haven't already done so I'd suggest the following reset procedure:

Stop the network
    Shut down Cortex
    Shut down power to the network (eg. DC switch in IPS, or unplug power from MPD)
    Re-apply network power and wait until everything is settled (eg. suggest wait 30s if IPS)
    Launch Cortex
    Run network

If things had been running smoothly with the light until recently its difficult to see why a Cortex restart would have an effect on the integrity of the QLD. Do you have other lights connected to this QLD and if so are they ok?

Comment

• tizwaz
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2007

Hi Karam, thanks for getting back.

I've done as you suggest, no change sadly.

The light is mostly controllable by Cortex, in other words and I can change the light level using the scenes. However, if I turn it off, Cortex says it's off (the icon goes out) but the bulb has only dimmed to, I reckon about 10%, and then flickers.

I have one other light currently connected to the QLD, on the landing, and that's working as expected.

It's like the QLD isn't completely turning the elctricity off, even though it it's telling Cortex it is.. Could that happen?

C.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

does sound odd ... which sort of bulb are you using, how's it wired, what sort of circuit is it on, and how's it protected ????
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• tizwaz
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2007

It was a dimmable low enery fluorescent job, which I thought might've been the problem (even though it's been fine for several months), but once it started playing up I swapped it for an ordinary 60W filament to make sure it wasn't that, it's not.

The other working fine light on the landing is also an identical fluorescent.

It's on a direct cable from the QLD, which in itself is on a direct line from the fuse box protected by a 6amp MCD.

C.
          Last edited by tizwaz; 14 May 2012, 08:05 PM.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

interesting ...

so straightforward live & neutral all the way to the lamp ...

we're using those lamps, too, with SLDs ...

and switch-dimmable versions with DRBs ...

the latter we've had going for a few months, the former for just a week or two ...

we've found they all work well, 'though the number of the former per SLD is limited - six, five, or four, being the max', depending ...

too many, and they can trip on switch-on, or give light-shows when dimmed-down low ...

we've also noticed some temperature sensitivity - our house has no heating (yet) and, in the depths of the winter, a few lamps would go-out before fully dimmed ...

not sure any of this is what you're experiencing, but it might give some clues ! ?

Comment

• Karam
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tizwaz View Post
              It was a dimmable low enery fluorescent job, which I thought might've been the problem (even though it's been fine for several months), but once it started playing up I swapped it for an ordinary 60W filament to make sure it wasn't that, it's not.
              C.
              So are the symptoms for a 60W filament the same, or if not what are they? Also, can you check if the light stays flickering or ON to any level when the IDRANet power to the QLD is switched off? In fact you might want to test what happens when you shut the network down then switch IDRANet power off, check light, and then switch power back on but don't run the network and check light again

Dimmable fluorescents and LEDs are not the best of loads but in terms of physical damage the symptoms are a bit strange in the sense that if the switching triac is damaged you'd expect either full on or full off.

Comment

• tizwaz
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Aug 2007

The effect is the same for a 60W filament bulb.

With the light on full brightness, stopping the network keeps the light on as expected. Then if I remove the network power, the light then dims to a low level then flickers (but remains switched on). When the network power is restored the light remains dim and flickering.

Another light connected to same QLD goes out when network power is removed.

To me it's pointing to dodgy channel on the QLD, but I bow to superior knowledge!

Anything else I can test?

C.

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Yes it does sound like a fault in that channel. I think the module will have to be returned for investigation/repair. Please contact us directly to discuss further.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Dec 2007

wondering if the reset button on the module and/or Reflex have any relevance here ?

Comment

• Karam
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2005

Some sort of Reflex issue might be implicated if the module switched the light on only when network power was applied but in the case of the QLD network power is required to drive the electronics which control the output via optoisolators. So suggests leakage in one of the output components.

Comment

Working...
                      X