• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilhooper
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2008

Relaying Infrared using ITR-002

Has anybody had any experience with relaying infrared from one room to another using ITR-002's or older versions. At present I have two ITR-002, one is in the lounge and the other is sat in front of my Sky boxes at node 0. I've set the option to Relay Unrecognised frames on the lounge module and assigned a handset at the node 0 module with the Accept Relayed Frames option ticked but nothing seems to be happening at the other end.

- Neil
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

Could possibly be an issue with the sky box IR data format. Can you try training an ITR unit receiver with some frames from the handset and then see if it can recognise them successfully afterwards.

Comment

• neilhooper
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2008

I've been doing some testing now that SWMBO has surrendered the remote. I've trained the Lounge receiver with a few different buttons from the Sky remote and all are successfully recognised after, that is when I press the buttons the corresponding red marker comes up in behaviour. I've got one of those pyramid thingys that sends IR by wireless. We've put the sender end of this in front of the ITR at node zero and the ITR does not seem to emitting anything. We have tried three different remotes, Sky, TV (Panasonic) and Air Conditioning and we've also tried to send both ways, still no joy.

- Neil

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Does the red LED on the Node 0 ITR flash when someone is trying to relay frames from the lounge ITR? Note that the red LED is dual function in that it will also flash if IR signals are detected by the receiver part of the same module (so you could also check this aspect by pointing a handset at the node 0 ITR and pressing buttons)

Comment

• neilhooper
          Automated Home Guru
          • Oct 2008

The LED on the Node 0 ITR does not flash when trying to relay frames to it. It definately works in receive mode as I have got it to recognise frames, the LED flashes when it's receiving. Also the Lounge ITR LED does not flash when the frames are sent the other way.

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

Neil -

we've not tried our IR units, yet, so 'not yet familiar with details ...

but, we've noticed the approach to Network Enabling under Properties varies across modules - ie: always to be done at module level, but also sometimes at sub-node level, too ...

ditto (eg) On / Off / Automatic under Behaviour ...

etc etc

so, could the problem be something of this sort ?

Chris
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• neilhooper
              Automated Home Guru
              • Oct 2008

Chris -

Have checked all the obvious unfortunately.

However on a slightly different note and if you'd like a laugh. I ordered a 10 ft wide electric roller blind to go across our doors at the back of the house on the Wednesday before the Jubilee weekend. The suppliers quoted 10 - 14 working days for delivery so was expecting delivery towards the end of this week. They told me that they would contact me 1 -2 days before it would be delivered so as I could make sure that I would be in to receive it. Today, we were in Birmingham for SWMBO to have another brain scan for tumour and guess what, when we arrived home, there was a big long cardboard tube in the hallway. Our blind had arrived !!! Well sort of. First of all, we didn't know it was coming. Luckily my son happened to be in. Secondly, we opened the tube and slid out the blind. Well, I say blind, we got the tube with the motor installed into it and all the brackets to hold it up and the bottom bar to weigh the blind down alas no actual fabric attached to the tube or in the packaging !!!!!! Guess who's going to be having a very interesting conversation tomorrow morning.

- Neil

P.S. How did you get on with your underfloor heating problem in the end ?
              Last edited by neilhooper; 12 June 2012, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• Karam
                Automated Home Legend
                • Mar 2005

Have you stopped/started the network since changing the IR TX setting? The Accept relayed frames setting for the transmitter object presently needs this before it takes effect. If you don't want to stop the network for some reason then the same result can be achieved by resetting the module whilst the network is running (since this will cause Cortex to re-initialise the module).

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Dec 2007

Neil -

grrh !

10' wide is quite a lot - which roller blinds did you go for - Intelli-blinds / Somfy, or ... ??

we're thinking of fitting such to the two rather smaller windows nearest our bed ...

the electric UFH - we spent maybe half a day trying to recover it, even removed a tile, but gave-up on it ...

in Germany, we had a radiant heater above the door in the bathroom, almost over the bath, that worked well, but 'not sure such an arrangement would be allowed in the UK ...

Chris

PS: hope things go well with SWMBO ...
                  Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• neilhooper
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Oct 2008

Chris -

We went for Somfy through controlissblinds.co.uk

Karam -

Will try that tomorrow when I get home but I'm sure I've stopped and started the network anyway.

- Neil

We'll know the results of SWMBO's scan in about six weeks unless it has grown significantly since the last one, fingers crossed.
                    Last edited by neilhooper; 13 June 2012, 08:30 AM.

Comment

• neilhooper
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Oct 2008

Karam -

I have now tried stopping and restarting the network, still nothing.

- Neil

Comment

• Karam
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Mar 2005

Neil,

Ok found it .... it would appear that recent ITR firmware has an incorrect default parameter setting which is preventing the broadcast frames from being accepted under the normal initialisation routine. The firmware will be updated to correct this but in the meantime it is fairly straightforward to correct manually. The procedure is as follows:

- Stop the network
                        - Take note of the Node ID for each ITR unit that you need to correct (from its properties menu)
                        - For each module Issue the following direct commands (using the command line at the bottom of the communications window):
                        FA90xxyy44000E030242 <Transmit, or hit return twice> (changes the second TID to IR TX value)
                        FA90xxyy440008 <Transmit, or hit return twice> (saves changes to module non volatile memory)
                        where xxyy is the ID of the particular module that you are correcting.

Comment

• neilhooper
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Oct 2008

OK I've done that and everything is now working as expected.

Just one further question, this weekend I'll be doing some wiring changes that will result in the network being powered down. Will I have to enter the commands againd when I re-power the network?

- Neil

Comment

• Karam
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2005

No, the corrected parameter has been saved to non volatile memory. It would only revert back if you deliberately cleared this or reset the module back to its factory defaults. A firmware update will become available in due course which you could use to further avoid even the latter.

Comment

• neilhooper
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Oct 2008

OK - Thank you.

- Neil

Comment

Working...
                              X