• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jreberry
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2005

PowerLinc USB causing particular games/programs to not load

Here's a doosey for anyone willing to help me out.

Essentially, I noticed the other day when working with an emulator that I haven't used in a while (ZSNES) that it wouldn’t open anymore. When I double clicked on the icon a black box would flash open then flash shut, and nothing else. Hmmmm. After digging around on my computer I noticed that another computer game was doing the exact same thing. I dug through some web forums and found one posting where two other people were having the same problem. It turns out they both discovered if they uninstalled (or disabled) a particular USB device it fixed the problem. Ta Dah! So, I went through all of my USB devices (13 external devices in all) and isolated the problem. Sure enough, if I disabled a particular USB device the games would start perfect. Now here’s where the REAL problem starts...

For the other two guys it was simply joysticks that caused the problem so they just exchanged the joysticks for a different model. The USB device that is causing my problems is a PowerLincUSB X-10 controller that controls every single light inside/outside my house, several appliances, and 15 motion detectors. If I disable this I don't have any automated light control. OUCH! Essentially, I need to figure out a way to get the games to work without disabling all of the lights inside/outside my house.

Has anyone here heard of this problem before? or know of a solution I could try?

A few details that might help to find a solution…
    --I’m running XP SP2 with current updates
    --Motherboard is a ECS648-FX
    --The PowerLincUSB is not plugged into a hub
    --It doesn’t help if I remove other USB devices
    --The PowerLincUSB shows up as a Human Interface Device in Device Manager
    --I’ve played those games before, but the last time was several months previous to purchasing all the X-10 stuff. So I don’t think they have ever worked together. It just took me a few months to notice.

thanks for the help,
    --Jon
Working...
X