• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NW27
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2012

looking for a new HA software

Hi
    I currently have Misterhouse and the below hardware on a windows XP machine.
    X10 powerline and RF
    1wire
    Caller Id via a modem
    xAP
    Video overlay
    Text to speech
    Voice recognition
    Im looking at adding some other things like xPL or VSCP and some other RF devices like zigbee or my own RF devices. Maybe some RS485 and/or CAN hardware.

The trouble with MH is that it misses lots of xAP messages etc.

So Im looking to see what other HA applications are out there that will drive the above hardware.

Neil
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The only one that readily springs to mind is Homeseer . And another one is Domotiga.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Kevin
      • Jan 2004

Unfortunately MisterHouse is one of the few apps with inbuilt xAP that I haven't tried. I have no experience with Perl and MH is typically on Linux although I note you're on Windows. However I am very surprised when you say that it misses xAP messages as my experience with other HA software indicates almost nothing is ever missed and my xAP network has to be the busiest there is ... by a long way. xPL is similar to xAP and so I would suspect (if MH supports xPL via the same module) that you would experience the same issue. Is MH running on a reasonably capable host and is there a lot of other IP traffic, maybe it's some Perl threading / priority issue, do other MH users report this too ? xAP is UDP based (broadcast) so yes, there's always the possibility that a xAP message is lost but this is a really rare occurrence as xAP traffic is almost negligable in the context of overall bandwidth on Ethernet.

Just FYI there are two applications called xServer and iServer the latter being an enhanced version of the first. They offer filtered xAP connectivity forwarded via a TCP socket , although the apps still have to hear all xAP UDP traffic. These are often used for Internet xAP routing. Both are Windows based although iServer is also embedded in some standalone hardware eg the Home Automation Hub and some xAP Gateway builds. Two people now have xAP hubs for Raspberry Pi and I think an iServer will follow.

If you're a programmer then you may be able to tweak the Perl based xAP support in MisterHouse to connect to an iServer over TCP which would give guaranteed reception of every xAP message that an iServer heard and it would be buffered and filtered too such that only messages of interest to MisterHouse traversed the connection. There's the Windows exe (VB6) version of iServer and also some C++ based source. I can't help thinking the basic problem you describe shouldn't happen though and is worth investigation.

HouseBot and HomeSeer both have excellent xAP support , and there's xAPFloorPlan too. Cortex has good support for the xAP BSC schema but these last two have no real support for the other hardware you intend. I suspect HomeSeer will be your best bet re other hardware connectivity as it has the most pervasive add ins . HouseBot progression is a little quiet currently but it's solid, works really well and very attractively priced. Will also just mention Charmed Quark although the xAP driver for that is not released beyond alpha, it has diverse hardware support.

xAP Embedded wise HAH has some basic 1-wire support, LUA scripting and RF support. There used to be a really good 1-wire embedded xAP product called OPNOne but they are no longer available. There is an embedded xAP module available for the Barix Barionet too which includes 1-wire. There was also OPNMax which runs on the NSLU2 (Slug) and IIRC has Perl scripting included but no other hardware support - it's just a standalone xAP controller.

K
      Last edited by Kevin; 18 June 2012, 02:24 AM.

Comment

• b_weijenberg
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2006

here is a large list of HA software http://www.cocoontech.com/portal/lis...ation-software

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

It would be interesting to see if the Linux version of MisterHouse has the same issues.
          Any way you could set up a Linux boot on your XP machine.
          Another option though somewhat expensive may be to go for a Homevision system. The problem is that they are no longer made but suppliers may have some in stock. But Ebay may have one or two for sale. The homevision will require an XM10interface.
          I know the Pro version and the normal version with the multifunction board support 1 wire temp sensors, and I believe other 1 wire sensors are possible over the I2C connection.
          I think there is also an XAP gateway for Homevision, but don't know for sure.
          X10 powerline works, but via RF maybe a bit tricky unless you use a CM15 Pro and some macros. Or a W800RF32 and the plugin for HomevisionXL.
          Homevision has a composite video output for displaying status etc.
          Shcelte's Homevision XL software is excellent.
          Text to Speech is possible via HomevisionXL.
          Caller ID is possible.
          Last edited by toscal; 18 June 2012, 10:16 AM.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
          X