Honeywell Evotouch Configuration - HELP !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Toejedi
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jun 2012

Honeywell Evotouch Configuration - HELP !!!!

Hi everyone,

I've purchased the Evotouch with the BDR91 (I also have a spare HC60NG) and 10 HR80's.

I first installed the BDR91 and the Evotouch, setting it up with the Evotouch as the internal sensor/Zone Valve and had no problems with this as 1 zone (Living room). When i changed the setpoint, the Evotouch called the BDR91 and the boiler fired up. Great stuff I thought, now on to the HR80's...

I have added 3 or 4 HR80's to the Evotouch in the following manner:

1) Add New Zone
    2) Set as RADIATOR HEATING
    3) With EXTERNAL SENSOR
    4) Bind as actuator
    5) Bind as sensor
    6) Ran RF Test

All looked good, the new zones temps and setpoint showed in the Evotouch and I could navigate through all the new zones I created. When i fitted the HR80's to the TRV valve bodies, the little motors whirred away, I set these to FULL, so it all looks good.

HOWEVER

When a zone temp goes below the setpoint, the Evotouch doesn't then call the BDR91 to fire the boiler.... I can tell the HR80 adjusts itself to open up the valve to receive the flow, but it doesn't say to the boiler FIRE UP mate, I'm cold in a zone! However, as before the LIVING ROOM zone, does fire the boiler if it drops below the setpoint, just no other zone.....

I have reset and rebound all the HR80's to the Evotouch, to no avail, ran the RFTests which are EXCELLENT, the HR80 valves open and close yet no boiler action.

Am i understanding this correctly that the Evotouch itself knows from the HR80 if it should fire the boiler?(by comparing the HR80 room temp to the evotouch programmed setpoint) Is it because the Evotouch itself is still in its default (as configured out of box) mode as INTERNAL SENSOR and ZONE VALVE for the LIVING ROOM zone (i haven't added a HR80 to replace this zone yet..)????

I could really do with some advice on this as I'm beginning to think that I've misunderstood the design of the Zoning, in that, does this system need constant trigger from the internal sensor to fire the boiler and then the Evotouch regulates the heat flow via the HR80's? If so, this would mean I'm heating the LIVING ROOM (just to fire the boiler) when in fact it doesn't need it...

I wanted/thought the design of this system, is to allow individual zone control, meaning if any/all rooms drop below a temp, the boiler fires and the heat is regulated/controlled via the HR80's to the zone/s that needs it, hence only heating the room/s that needs it???

I'm in one of those situations where even the wife is laughing at me, all Tech and no idea :-(

• toscal
    • Oct 2005

Don't know if this is any help.
    Have you tried installing just one zone and see if it fires up the boiler.
    Last edited by toscal; 19 June 2012, 08:54 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• neilhooper
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2008

I had a long discussion about this system with a very knowledgeable person from Honeywell when I visited Eco Build in March this year. It can definitely do what you want it to do.

Reading your description and looking at the instructions from the link supplied by Toscal I would say you should be looking at page 10. The only thing that I can see from reading the seemingly ambiguous instructions you seem to have done it all correctly apart from the instructions say to bind the HR80's as a sensor first and actuator second. Now I'm being a bit picky but you've written above that you did it in the opposite order. I don't know if you can do that or not as I haven't had the experience of doing it myself yet.
      I would advise at this point, if you haven't already, to do a reset of everything and start again. I know it's a pain to do but it might be the answer. I usually find when doing these things for the first time you invariably make a mistake and sometimes the controllers don't like it although it shouldn't cause a problem, it does.

I think my business partner has a phone number for a good contact at Honeywell. If all else fails, let me know and I'll see if he still has it and maybe you can ring them to get some help.

- Neil

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
        • Feb 2009

The BRD91 can be registered in several different ways depending on your application requirements. In this particular case you need the BRD91 to act as a boiler relay and not as a zone actuator, that is where you are going wrong. If you keep the BRD91 as a zone actuator then it only responds to the zone to which it is bound and none of the other zones will have any effect on it. If you reset and re-bind the BRD91 as a boiler relay then it will operate when any zone requires heat, which means your HR80s will then cause the BRD91 to operate when they call for heat.
        Sensible Heat
        SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• mattice
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by SensibleHeatUK View Post
          The BRD91 can be registered in several different ways depending on your application requirements. In this particular case you need the BRD91 to act as a boiler relay and not as a zone actuator, that is where you are going wrong. If you keep the BRD91 as a zone actuator then it only responds to the zone to which it is bound and none of the other zones will have any effect on it. If you reset and re-bind the BRD91 as a boiler relay then it will operate when any zone requires heat, which means your HR80s will then cause the BRD91 to operate when they call for heat.
          Appreciate I'm resurrecting an old thread, but I just had to say thanks for this advice. The OP described my problem almost identically. The Evotouch device came pre-bound and I couldn't spot any clues that is was set as an actuator to the original zone resulting in 24hrs of no heat and a very patient other half.

Comment

Working...
          X