• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neilhooper
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Karam View Post
    Depends how you are measuring wnd speed but I'd imagine it will be either analogue input or pulse count meter both of which have user configurable threshold transgression trigger outputs. This combined with a logic object (eg. AND gate) or with a Macro implementing IF THEN logic are just a couple of ways which might be suited.
    I'm thinking via a pulse count meter. Now I know it's possible I'll be ordering a wind sensor soon.

Thanks Karam.

- Neil

Comment

• JonS
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Kevin View Post
      I have one of the Maplin wireless weather stations ~£50 and I use the excellent (and free) Cumulus software which implements the xAP weather schema. So I have all the information from all the sensors available on xAP. I haven't ever brought this into Cortex as it didn't seem to have much use for such information. I have an outdoor IDRANet temperature sensor so never bothered with temperature. This should all be do-able though via the xAP object as it can extract data from any xAP schema.

RFXCom / xAP is an alternative path.

K
      As a cyclist I'd love to know how windy it is when I wake up (Cortex alarm-call already gives outside temp :-)) but I've always struggled with the physical side of weather stations...
      The best place for the sensors seems to be on top of the house with TV aerial.(Garage surrounded by trees). However as this is high / inaccessible it would be TV aerial install ... OK once but what about batteries? Do you just run an extension cable from the wiring at the top to an accessible point for the transmitter / batteries?
      Is the weather station permamently connected to Cortex PC via USB, or is that wireless too? How power hungry is the weather base-station?

On Cortex machine also run Cumulus and then connect via XAP?

How long lived are these sensors?
      Has anyone found reasonably priced wired sensors that could connect direct to Cortex modules?

The alternative would be to get info from a local weather station on the internet and suck that into Cortex ... any ideas how?

Thanks
      Last edited by JonS; 12 July 2012, 10:59 PM.
      JonS

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
        Automated Home Legend
        • Dec 2007

local readings readings would maybe need to be seen in-context, relative to a wider view ... and the Met.Office seems an obvious place to go for this - eg:

lots of options there - including rain, pressure, wind, gusts, temperature, humidity, zoom in & out, historical & forecast, location, etc ...

plus it's possible to view the source code (on our 'Macs : Safari | View | View Source), which would seem to give the info' needed to be able access their database - ie: cut & paste & edit code into something that would talk with Cortex ...

haven't tried this yet, but when we get a moment, perhaps next year, we might give it a go ...

the Cortex PC might be a good place, for us, to display the info', perhaps in a PlanView window ...
        Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• qba
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2008

I am using ZWD wind sensor connected to the pulse count meter and ZRD rain sensor - both described here: http://www.fakro.com/htmlen/366.php
          This particular rain sensor is not best one - it gets damaged after about 2 years, but it is possible to find similar products like http://www.kemo-electronic.de/en/Hou...or-12-V-DC.php

Comment

Working...
          X