• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

Virtual objects ...

not sure I understood the virtual object solution in the light-level thread (*) of a day or three ago ...

ie: what's to be created & what's not to be enabled, etc ... ??

but, if I did, then was thinking maybe virtual objects could be used in virtual rooms, as a device for collecting information together, from sensors spread around the house, while still having that information show in the rooms hosting those sensors ...

???

(*) http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...7-Light-Levels
    Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 8 July 2012, 12:14 AM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...
  • neilhooper
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2008

Hi Chris,

I did exactly as Gumby suggested.

I already have an Outside Light Level sensor. The connections / outputs are mostly configured to work with the modules / objects in the Lounge which is South facing.

The problem that I was having is that the Kitchen / Diner is always darker than the Lounge with it being North Facing.

In Cortex I went to Tools / Design Network / Add Idratek Network Object and selected the Light Level Module (ALS) to add it to the Kitchen / Dining room.

Then in the Connections menu select the Alternative Light Level source (it's the very bottom one) and click Add. In the next connections box change the filter to General at the bottom of the box and in my case I selected the Outside Light Level from the left hand object box and the Light Level Output from the middle box. This connects the output from the Physical Outside Light Level module to the input of the now Virtual Outside light Level module. At this point you can set up triggers / connections based on different levels to be used in a different room(s).

You will also need to make sure that Network Enabled is NOT ticked in the properties menu for this newly added device.

Although I've done this I will probably add Internal Light Level modules to the rest of my rooms as I go along as, although the above works, it is slightly crude and I think the internal route will be better mainly because in our case although it can be very bright outside the mere fact the the front of the house is in shadow the room seems quite dark if you get what I mean.

Hope this helps.

- Neil

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

Neil, many thanks ...

every outside wall on our house catches the Sun sometimes, so we put our LTH-XO1 in a shielded location in our gazebo (backs onto the road & faces the front of our house, so we attached an Opal PIR to it, too) ... hopefully they'll work OK, but we've yet to Connect them to anything ...

we've also included PLHs in pretty-much every room, mounted alongside windows to face into the room without catching the Sun directly ... but our house is very open-plan, and we've yet to work-out how best to utilise them ...

so, thanks for the ideas !
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 10 July 2012, 11:00 AM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
      X