• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tizwaz
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2007

Room Presence Help

Looking for some advice on this one please.

I have an L-shaped hall, with a PIR at the bottom of the stairs which catches 99% of all movement perfectly. However the downstairs toilet and kitchen door are around the corner, which means you can come out of the toilet and walk into the kitchen without triggering the hall PIR. Causing the toilet light stays on, as the hall PIR hasn’t recognised a movement.

I don’t want to add another Hall PIR as I reckon that will be over kill, plus as it’s not a huge hall I suspect if I add another nearer the kitchen it’ll pick up kitchen movement too.

Any suggestions?
    Chris.
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

I don't know the rest of your arrangements but maybe if you add to the floor plan a virtual always open door from the toilet into the kitchen (just place a door logic object in the toilet and make sure you fill out its connections appropriately i.e toilet/kitchen). That way if you go from toilet to kitchen Cortex considers that there is a valid route between the two without having to pass through the hall and so will transfer occupancy from toilet to kitchen rather than just adding new occupancy to kitchen. Similarly if you go from toilet to hall then Cortex will transfer occupancy via the the toilet/hall door. This of course assumes you have sensing in the kitchen.

Comment

• tizwaz
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2007

That's worked. Thanks Karam.

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

As an afterthought - if your toilet/kitchen virtual door is permanently open then there could be the undesired effect of occupancy being pulled out of toilet into kitchen prematurely (or vice versa). For example - if someone in toilet and someone in kitchen at the same time and the person in the kitchen is moving whilst person in toilet is still for long enough then occupancy can transfer from toilet to kitchen since door is open. If you have a door sensor on the real toilet/hall door then you should make connections from both its Trigger on door open and Trigger on door closed outputs into the virtual toilet/kitchen door Alternative switch source input. (Note: These connections can only be made from the signal originating object side, i.e you won't find input connections for a door object)

This way the virtual door will mirror the state of the real door and will be more correct representation of possible path ways in and out of toilet.

Comment

• tizwaz
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2007

That makes sense. We don't have door sensors yet.. but will have when we decorate later this years. Ta C.

Comment

Working...
          X