Thread: Advice needed on new house project.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Lurker

Default Advice needed on new house project.

Hi,
    I'm just in the process of buying a new house and have been thinking about home automation and am in the need of some advice.
    So, here's the plan.
    The whole house automation system should be run from a central computer probably running homeseer.
    The front door will be unlocked via a long distance RFID sensor (range about 1-2m) which will activate an electric release mechanism such as this; http://www.electriclock.net/acatalog/alpro-dual-voltage-electric-releases.html

which will be activate by http://proto-pic.co.uk/ethernet-16am...-relay-module/ with a view to also install fail-release versions on the internal doors so I can control access to individual rooms individually.

Now where I start to get a little confused is the lighting. Now presently I use Lutron Rania dimmers on most of my lights. I would like to keep these as the z-wave/ X-10 etc switches I have seen are hideously ugly. What I would like is simply a hidden module which can turn the lights on, off and dim them. This would be voice controlled via homeseer. Can anyone recommend a suitable product for this purpose?

Later additions will include a facial recognition doorbell and ANPR to identify and announce the arrival of people whom I program into the system.
    Thanks in advance,
    Wyvern
    Last edited by wyvernp; 3rd August 2012 at 03:07 PM.

Wow those Alpro lock releases are expensive. I paid 55 euros.
    X10 micro modules spring to mind, or use the Insteon Modules . Another HA system is PLCBus, this is similar to UPB in operation.
    Homeseer is very good, but you will need quite a fast PC if you are going to use voice commands.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

How reliable is voice control these days? Remember messing about with it ten years ago and gave up, what does it look like now?

I last tried it about 6 years ago and like you gave up.

Thanks, Have a couple of mixers and mics that i got from letsautmate gathering dust, was thinking they might be worth dusting down again, but unless things have improved dramaticly, not really worth bothering with!

The biggest problem is still background noise. It might be worth a play. I know of people who have had success using bluetooth headsets, the ones that clip on to your ear.