X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Vangelis View Post
    I started looking at electronic door locks, and although the 'Night Latch' devices are used a lot on commercial properties, I never liked the fact there was a 'loose' feel to the locking mech, in that the door would move lightly against the lock even when locked. So I started looking at Solenoid bolts as a more secure option, but with a key override (seeing as this is the main point of entry to the house!!)

our entire range of access control systems & electric locks for better security. Find door & gate access control systems, including DDA .

I have actually used both on an automatic gate system. They felt the electric door latch was a bit loose, so we fitted a solenoid drop bolt. It wasn't cheap about 3 times the price of the most expensive one on the link you gave. But its sprung loaded so drops down when the solenoid is disengaged. And it can't be cut with a hacksaw either, or prised open. I did try before it was installed to push the bolt back into the housing but it was impossible. When the solenoid is engaged there is a cam type gear that gets moved out of the way, then the bolt can be pulled up. There was space for a euro cylinder so a key can be used for it as well, in case of power outages, which also moves this cam gear and pulls the bolt up.
    It was also a bit of a night mare getting the timing right. Signal is sent to open gate, gate light strobe flashes (eu requirement these days) at the same time the solenoid is activated, after 3 seconds the latch is released and the gates open. 30 seconds later power to solenoid is cut and drop bolt drops. This actually keeps the gates locked in the open position (well one of the leaves anyway). And to close the gates it starts with the strobe flashing and the solenoid is activated and then de-activated about 30 seconds later. It actually only takes about 20 to 25 seconds to close or open the gates. But to allow for mechanical frictions, client not greasing the gate hinges etc, 30 seconds gives a safety margin. This was all done just using the lock interface on the gate controller, a few relays and one of those stairway timed relay devices.

Here is the link, they now do other types of solenoid locks.
    Last edited by toscal; 17 August 2012, 03:46 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Vangelis
      Automated Home Guru
      • Sep 2009

Interesting... From recollection most of these solenoid locks have a mechanism so as not to drop the bolt until the door is fully closed (reed switch). Vesternet also do some Z-Wave controlled door locks, but they have a pin-pad built in as well which is not what I am after.

As for overkill on some door locks, check out http://www.impregnablesecurity.co.uk...oors-locks.asp .... that is if money is no object

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Initially I was going to use a waterproof magnetic door switch but, this would have meant extra cabling and digging up the drive way to put more conduit in. I don't think the client would have liked paying nearly 300 euros in labour ect for adding a 2 euro door switch. Sometimes you have to make compromises when someone else is paying the bill.

You may want to check cyberlocks. I've been toying with the idea of using them in our house.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Vangelis
          Automated Home Guru
          • Sep 2009

I looked at the Mul-T-Lock CLIQ range which are similar, but I don't need the auditing capability - plus I was trying to get away with keys all together. That left RFID and Bio-Metric.

RFID we have talked about above in the post, however what amazed me is the form factor of some of the Fingerprint readers. They are massive!!

I want something like these standalone units..

http://www.impregnablesecurity.co.uk...ocks/e-ley.jpg or http://www.appliedbiometrics.com/typ...d74f948059.gif

However this type are cheaper but the actual reader is too big for my liking...

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

I got a fingerprint lock off ebay about 4 to 5 years ago, works very well. I would say though that whatever finger or thumb you use, take several readings. This will eliminate the lock not working. The one I have also has the ability to input a 4 digit pin code, via a single button. Just hold button in wait then scroll through each number. It wasn't that cheap but a lot cheaper than what was on offer else where.
            This one may be of interest to you.
            Just seen this as well.
            Last edited by toscal; 22 August 2012, 04:35 AM.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X