Thread: Pre Roll recording oddness

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Pre Roll recording oddness

Hi all,

I've just hooked up a SIP gate phone with a built in IP Camera and I'm experiencing what seems like a little oddness in with pre roll.

I've set up a motion detection zone and linked the motion detect output to the take video input. I've configured the video capture tab to record 40 frames of pre roll (4s).

When I look at a triggered recording it doesn't have 4s before the trigger, it has the first 4s after the trigger repeated (ie the events happen twice) and then some more video.
    I think there might also be a problem with my compression options. When I use on the fly mpeg encoding the clip is only reported to be 13s long when it's actually 20s long (I don't get the problem if I use compression).

Where do I start looking?

As an aside, so far I'm pleased with the phone (a pro-vu slim ipdp). I don't have any Idratek audio devices so I've also gone for a gigaset IP dect base station. I think I've got it working (reliably-ish) such that the gate phone rings the home phones. The great thing with the gigaset base station is that it also has a straight forward BT connection so I haven't had to go all SIP just yet, although we make so few calls it's probably not worth it either)

Thanks Peter.
    Last edited by pbj; 20th August 2012 at 11:35 AM.

Have you tried ASF recording option?

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks Karam,

I tried ASF and it looks to be the same (ie not pre rolled, but the same 4s of video twice)

Can you try the test IP camera URL that Cortex brings up when you select IP camera and see if this has the same symptoms. You can overlay time and date on the image (suggest 24 font) to help gauge time. Also note that the live image will in fact be time delayed by the pre-record period.

Automated Home Sr Member

I tried using the PCs built in webcam (I couldn't remember the test IP cam address) and turned on the time overlay and ASF recording. That exibits the same behaviour - for example a recording triggered at 22:00.30 plays back showing 22:00.30-22:00.34 and then 22:00.30-22:00.50. Would the IP cam make a difference?

Perhaps easy to miss this one - do you have Pre-arm to record enabled? I noticed it was possible to re-create your symptoms when the number of pre-trigger frames is set but the pre-arm record is not then enabled...

Automated Home Sr Member

Good spot Karam. I hadn't twigged that they were connected settings. It looks like it is working now - thank you.