• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pmatos
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2012

Door Chime

Hi,

I am looking for a smart door chime. I have a very simple, single-chime, no volume control, waking-up-children-all-the-time chime. Lately as children go to sleep I remove the chime batteries.

I would like a system that would enable the following:
    * wireless;
    * volume control;
    * light notification
    * possibility to have a speaker closer to the garden;

Also, extra things which would be cool to have but they look slightly more advanced is have an email notification of someone ringing the house.

Any suggestions or recommendations of how to achieve this are greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paulo Matos
  • ggiblin
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2009

Hi Paulo

I had a different problem. I used some wireless doorbell components but the volume was not loud enough.

I got an amplifier kit from bitsbox.co.uk and wired it to the chime unit. I could then set the volume to the required level.

Here is a write up:

blog about linux, home automation, 1-wire, arch linux, archlinuxarm, food, chili, chilli, plug computer, plugcomputer, sheevaplug, guruplug

Something like an Arduino could be used to detect the signal and send the message or email.

Gerard

Comment

• pmatos
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Feb 2012

Originally posted by ggiblin View Post
      Hi Paulo

I had a different problem. I used some wireless doorbell components but the volume was not loud enough.

I got an amplifier kit from bitsbox.co.uk and wired it to the chime unit. I could then set the volume to the required level.

Here is a write up:

blog about linux, home automation, 1-wire, arch linux, archlinuxarm, food, chili, chilli, plug computer, plugcomputer, sheevaplug, guruplug

Something like an Arduino could be used to detect the signal and send the message or email.

Gerard
      Thanks for the description of your problem but after I do that, how do you actually get the arduino to detect the signal if the it's a wireless one? Can you actually do that with arduino (note I have zero arduino experience).

Comment

Working...
      X