• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tizwaz
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Aug 2007

D-I-S-C-Oh......

Ok, here’s something I hadn’t thought about…We went away last week, and I ticked the box to simulate occupancy.

On our first night away, our neighbour phoned to say there was a disco at our house, the lights are randomly coming on and off very quickly…

First I was pleased as it was working, then it dawned on me. I have the lights on timer set at 10 seconds for most lights, (as I like them to go off quite quickly after leaving a room).

Am I’m right in thinking the simulate occupancy turns light on for the duration of their light timer?

If so, is there a way around this to increase the duration in one fell swoop, other then resetting all the light timers individually before going away?

Chris.
  • Viv
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Dec 2004

>>>> Am I’m right in thinking the simulate occupancy turns light on for the duration of their light timer?

Yes

>>>> If so, is there a way around this to increase the duration in one fell swoop, other then resetting all the light timers individually before going away?

Sorry not at present.

We will look at what can be done to help those who have managed to have very short light timers (probably by good sensor coverage).

Viv

Comment

• tizwaz
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Aug 2007

Could you have tick box under the all light simulate occupency, that said "Ignore indiviual light timers", then when ticked a drop-down list becomes active with durations on?

That way I could choose 5, 10, 15 or 30 minutes etc.. Each light would come on for that duration.

Just a thought,

C.

Comment

• spellinn
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2007

Rather than have another tickbox in the light object (I think there are enough!) the occupancy simulation could be improved to allow more realistic simulation of an occupied room. Maybe record some "real" occupation and then replay it, adding an element of randomisation along the way?

Regards

Neil

Comment

• Viv
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2004

The concept of using real occupation and then replay is often suggested and a first seems valid. However we believe it is not suitable for the following reasons.
          The real occupation and light activity will be different throughout the year.
          The lights used during the real activity may not have been chosen to be allowed for light simulation thus rendering no activity. Also when unoccupied, curtains may be left open which you would not want the real activity to light (hence the option). This is especially if they can be easily seen from the road etc.
          The real activity can often be many lights on for long periods which is not very 'interesting', not very economical and may not look very occupied.

However Cortex use of randomly using the lights timer clearly is not suitable for installations which now have set very short times. Also its random nature of turning lights on could be improved to mimic real occupancy better.

We have therefore introduced a new algorithm for occupancy simulation. We have based it on the concept of ghosts. The Ghosts travel around the property. They do not trigger sensors or record presence in rooms. They can however cause lights to turn on. They typically travel through doors even if closed. The duration the light is on is randomly chosen between a min and max user defined time. When the light is due to go out the ghost will proceed to another room. This mimics normal light on/off progression. If the database does not describe the property correctly the ghost may jump out of the room into another randomly chosen room. When entering a new room the light turns on. The room just left will stay on for a few seconds. Multiple ghosts can occupy the same room.
          The All Light History will record which rooms it turns on. The individual Lights will record if they have been turned on by the All Light object.

Cortex version 26.4.0 introduces this and other new features.

Comment

• spellinn
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Dec 2007

Love the ghosts concept, although I think my missus will freak out if I tell her there are now ghosts roaming the house turning on our lights when we're away!

Look forward to trying it out.

Cheers

Neil

Comment

Working...
            X