• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hargraverch
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2008

Pcu/pce

Hi am having continuing problems with my pcu/pce device, msg keeps poping up

Can'topen specified device comm6
    error 5 access is denied

pcif reset attempts inhibited

I am really getting chewed, having to reset the system, one minute great, soon as, stops wprking.

can anyone help please.

regards

ron
  • Karam
    Automated Home Legend
    • Mar 2005

This would seem to indicate that something on your system might be preventing Cortex from accessing the designated COM port. For example Windows for some reason changing its COM port allocation for the PCU USB/serial device or something else perhaps taking hold of that port. Niote that the USB device is specifically programmed such that Windows retains its COM port allocation even if the unit is unplugged or system powered down or such. Also any other devices plugged in would normally be allocated different COM ports so clashes should not occur. However there is nothing to prevent other software trying to take over any existing COM ports.

So things to check: When this happens does the Windows allocated COM port change? I.e what you find via Windows device manager, Hardware, Ports, USB serial port (appears Cortex has been set to find the PCU at COM 6). Which Windows OS are you using? If Windows Vista or 7 then UAC not being turned off is known to cause a number of issues. Any other com port / USB devices attached to this PC? Any other software on this PC which might conceivably be trying to use a COM port?

Just for completeness: You can download the latest drivers for the internal USB convertor here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/...0Certified.zip

And if you haven't already done so you should ensure that the Windows COM port settings are as described in this document:

Comment

• hargraverch
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2008

Hi Karam thanks for reply will have a look, i am running XP pro, and was wondering if i should just reformat the hard drive and a fresh install of required software, what do you think Karem,

cheers

Ron

Originally posted by Karam View Post
      This would seem to indicate that something on your system might be preventing Cortex from accessing the designated COM port. For example Windows for some reason changing its COM port allocation for the PCU USB/serial device or something else perhaps taking hold of that port. Niote that the USB device is specifically programmed such that Windows retains its COM port allocation even if the unit is unplugged or system powered down or such. Also any other devices plugged in would normally be allocated different COM ports so clashes should not occur. However there is nothing to prevent other software trying to take over any existing COM ports.

So things to check: When this happens does the Windows allocated COM port change? I.e what you find via Windows device manager, Hardware, Ports, USB serial port (appears Cortex has been set to find the PCU at COM 6). Which Windows OS are you using? If Windows Vista or 7 then UAC not being turned off is known to cause a number of issues. Any other com port / USB devices attached to this PC? Any other software on this PC which might conceivably be trying to use a COM port?

Just for completeness: You can download the latest drivers for the internal USB convertor here: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/...0Certified.zip

And if you haven't already done so you should ensure that the Windows COM port settings are as described in this document:
      http://www.idratek.com/public/softwa...tion_Guide.pdf

Comment

• Karam
        Automated Home Legend
        • Mar 2005

Seems a bit drastic for the moment. Is it failing during the normal course of operation? I.e system running normally and then suddenly this report? If so are there any log files around the time of the incident. You can send these to us to see if there is any kind of clue. Has it started happening only recently or increased in frequency? This of course as well as checking on the other items above.

Comment

• hargraverch
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2008

Hi Karam, happens all the time, i am running it on a Asus E Box, and was one of the first trialing the usb interface, which seemed o at the time if memory is correct.

Since then ive loaded various programs, and god knows whats running in the backround, so i thought a reformat and start from scratch,

Anything i need to do regarding my software licence before re format.

thankyou

ron

Comment

• Karam
            Automated Home Legend
            • Mar 2005

So it was ok to begin with but now regularly not with some possibility of other programs influencing this. In that case may be the reformat option is the way to proceed. As you are local you could also arrange to come to our office and we can check the hardware.

The procedure for license transfer is temporarily install Cortex on another PC using your original install key (can be found at top of registration menu). Then transfer the license from the Asus to the temporary installation (see license transfer procedure in Help). Then when the reformat is complete install Cortex on the Asus again using the same install key (which will now give you 30 day trial period). Then transfer license back from temporary PC. If its not possible to do this then the fall back is you format the Asus, re-install Cortex using install key (which you should note before reformatting) and then send us new lock details. We can then 'kill' the old license and issue a new one but this can only be done a limited number of times.

You should make sure to back up all your Cortex directory somewhere before reformatting the Asus. That way you'll be able to copy back your database file and any history and log data.

Comment

• hargraverch
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2008

Hi Karam
              Cheers for the info, and i would feel better with a re-format, the hardware is a usb wireless mouse, a usb wireless keyboard, and i was using a logtech web cam as a security camera.

cheers

ron

Comment

• hargraverch
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2008

hi karam
                Just a line to thankyou you for your help, i went with the reformat, i only have to transfer the key, and the process is done.

I now wish to reflex the various switches to ensure i have lights working.

cheers

ron

Comment

• Karam
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2005

Ok so sounds like the reformat resolved a com port conflict. Maybe best to leave this PC for Cortex only use. Regarding reflex programming, if you have set up a database with push button objects operating lights then you should be able to use the Auto Reflex creation tool to generate the necessary Reflexes. These will just be in the form of a button toggling a given light in the best way that Cortex can interpret the connectivity from the higher level database, but it should hopefully save some drudgery of manual programming if you have a number of lights.

Comment

• hargraverch
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jan 2008

Hi Karam
                    Yes i agree, i will keep my asus Eee Box for Cortex only, also at present Karam i have 2 of the old style panels and noticed the new design so time ago, how difficult would it be to replace new for old.

cheers

ron

Comment

• hargraverch
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2008

Hi Karam

All has being well, that is untill tonight. I had a power trip at the meter and my pc had to be restarted, on restarting
                      cortex has indicated it is no longer valid. To which i can't understand as i did the transfer to another machine and back again, with no apparent problems, and thus have no active system.

regards

ron

Comment

• Karam
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Mar 2005

Please send us the license details you are presently working with and the version of Cortex.

Sorry I just noted the question part in your post of December 13th... The DFP fits over a dual gang pattress box (equivalent of two singles side by side) as opposed to a double gang. The purpose is to separate potential mains switching via an XRM into the right hand compartment whilst the IDRANet and digital inputs are in the left. So one possibility is of course widening the existing pattress box cavity to accomodate a dual. Another, if you are not switching mains, is to utilise one end of the existing double and possibly screw into the wall at the other end, or alternatively fit a single box and use the single box width screw points on the DFP backing plate - not as stable as using the full width but might be an option. If switching mains then you may have to formulate your own separation method. Other than that the functionality of the DFP is a superset of the older panels though the audio output is a little lower due to the different enclosure acoustics. You may also have to re-assign some buttons to better suit the DFP legends and the cancel and ok are now shifted to 11 and 12 as opposed to 1 and 2 though Cortex of course knows this so you don't have to do anything actively to accomodate this.

Comment

• hargraverch
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2008

Hi Karam
                          email sent, iam upto date with cortex latest ver.

cheers

ron

Comment

• hargraverch
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jan 2008

Hi karam

Thanks once again for your tremendous backup and support.

ron

Comment

Working...
                            X