• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rosco
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2012

Basic lighting and heating via iphone with upgradability

Hello,

First time post and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for a system that can control lighting and heating from one application in an iphone.

Initially it just needs to control heating on/off and a single light switch, additional future functionality would be ideal such as multiple lights, temperature control, security, camera viewing, smoke detectors etc.

Thanks very much.

Ross
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Take a look at the Loxone Miniserver
    This has free apps for both IOS and Android devices and a built in webserver.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• fredd500
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jun 2009

Originally posted by Rosco View Post
      Hello,

First time post and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction for a system that can control lighting and heating from one application in an iphone.

Initially it just needs to control heating on/off and a single light switch, additional future functionality would be ideal such as multiple lights, temperature control, security, camera viewing, smoke detectors etc.

Thanks very much.

Ross
      There are many many systems out there which offer iphone control. Smart phone control is going to be a requirement for any system hoping to be viable in the market for any length of time. The solution pretty much comes down to what you want to spend. Personally, being a family man with a wife who doesn't get it, I have zero budget so have to pretty much rely on free software and cobbled together smart phone solutions. Others, with proper budgets might look to the lofty heights of something like Crestron.

Personally I am running a linux server with something called FHEM on it. This can control all sorts of things through all sorts of physical interfaces. My heating based on Househeat/Conrad/ELV FHT system is controlled this way. My lighting isn't fully integrated with this (LightwaveRF) as I need to finish writing the plug-in myself (because no one else has), but it can control some lighting systems already including the Conrad FS20 system. iPhone wise I am using an app called Fhemobile which provides the front end to it.

LightwaveRF is available from B&Q and seems stable in the lighting space. While they do do heating, it is not as fully featured as some systems and is due to be replaced at some point in the future.

Have a read around this forum and come back and ask specifics if you need any more info. Generally people will be in one camp or another when it comes to particular systems based on what they personnaly use (or what they sell!).

HTH
      Chris

Automating my home in a family friendly way - My blog: http://www.cpmills.com/

Comment

• Rosco
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2012

Thanks for the replies, decided I needed something fast so gone for the Heatmiser PRT-TS WiFi for heating control and tried to order from the Lightwaverf website for the lighting but it does not seem to be working, phone permanently engaged too.

Many Thanks

Ross

Comment

• Rosco
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2012

Update

Emailed Lightwaverf and they came back to me, just very busy.

Comment

Working...
          X