Thread: LED Dimming

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Lurker

Default LED Dimming

First, it looks like this is the first post for nearly a year - Surely it can't be _that_ quiet!?

Re the subject of the post - Same old chestnut. . . . .

Does anyone have any recommendations for LED driver/lamp combinations that will work with CBus?

I have CBus, as a retrofit, throughout the first floor of our house but that was done a few years ago and the fittings are all halogen.

I'm about the redecorate much of the ground floor and an extension and would like to use LED fittings and I want them to be dimmable.

However, from a bit of googling, it would seem to be a minefield of which lamps work with which drivers and much of the experimentation seems to relate to Oz.

So, can anyone recommend any drivers and lamps that are currently available (as of Oct 2012) that will work with CBus?

Many thanks

Regards

Neil

Can't comment on CBus directly. But can CBus output a 0-10V control signal. If it can then you can use a 0-10V RGB Driver/dimmer. This can either be used as an RGB controller when using RGB LED Strips, or as a three channel dimmer for 12V MR16 LED bulbs, or Single colour strips. By using 2 of the channels you could even use the new colour temp change strips (essentially a single strip with both warm and cold white leds). If CBus has a DMX gateway then there are a variety of DMX based LED dimmers/drivers.
    We have had some success with Idratek and our 0-10V dimmers and also our GU10 bulbs on an Idratek dimmer module. So if CBus has a dimming module then the GU10 may work. What I would do is check the min load for the dimmer module for CBus, some systems have a min load, some don't and others can be programmed (like Lutron).
    As a general note on LED dimming, complete 0 to 100% brightness tends not to happen with the bulbs, its more like 20% to 100%. The strips can be 0-100% but this depends on the control software and how the 0-10V signal is implemented.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Sr Member SiliconPixel's Avatar

Hi Neil,

Did you get anywhere with this? I just posted a nearly identical post to the mailing list looking for similar drivers/LED's!

Cheers,

Paul.

Automated Home Jr Member 21stCenturyElec's Avatar

We work a lot with C-Bus and have a number of LED solutions that work with the leading edge dimmers, we have tested various types, lamps and driver/LED combo.

If your still looking please PM me and I'll see how we can help

I've been looking at the new Philips Master GU10 6W dimming LEDs, it seems like we have finally reached a point where there are dimming downlighters that match the brightness of halogen, without that awful sticking-out lamp look.

The new 6w lamps match the brightness of their previous 7w lamps, but without the bulk, and I believe that the previous 7w lamps were good with C-Bus dimmers. Price is about 20 each, so I thought I'd delay until they are more affordable. There must be a point where savings of electricity exceed savings by waiting whilst the price drops, but it just seems too geeky to work it out.

Would be interested in any experience with these, or any alternatives

Automated Home Jr Member 21stCenturyElec's Avatar

MichaelD we have a lamp that works perfectly at a lower price than that with the same output, it will dim 0-100% there is no sudden shut off or flicker, please feel free send a PM with the qty you are thinking about.

Ian

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by toscal View Post
    Can't comment on CBus directly. But can CBus output a 0-10V control signal. If it can then you can use a 0-10V RGB Driver/dimmer. This can either be used as an RGB controller when using RGB LED Strips, or as a three channel dimmer for 12V MR16 LED bulbs, or Single colour strips. By using 2 of the channels you could even use the new colour temp change strips (essentially a single strip with both warm and cold white leds). If CBus has a DMX gateway then there are a variety of DMX based LED dimmers/drivers.
    We have had some success with Idratek and our 0-10V dimmers and also our GU10 bulbs on an Idratek dimmer module. So if CBus has a dimming module then the GU10 may work. What I would do is check the min load for the dimmer module for CBus, some systems have a min load, some don't and others can be programmed (like Lutron).
    As a general note on LED dimming, complete 0 to 100% brightness tends not to happen with the bulbs, its more like 20% to 100%. The strips can be 0-100% but this depends on the control software and how the 0-10V signal is implemented.
    Toscal's suggested LED dimming ideas work fine on your CBus networks for LED control and here are the required C-Bus modules that can:

1. Output 0-10V, being the C-Bus analogue output module (L5504AMP) to run third party 0-10V RGB/RGBW LED drivers

2. Output DMX, being the C-Bus DMX gateway module (5500DMX) to interface to DMX equipment / DMX LED drivers

3. Output DALI, being the C-Bus Dali Gateway module (5502DAL) to interface to DALI controlled ballasts/ DALI LED Drivers.

4. Output Leading Edge Dimming, being the C-Bus 8 Channel Dimmers L5508D1A to run 220v/240v LED controllers made to be leading edge dimmed. Great if you can get away with these as they have twice the dimmer density of 'Universal Dimmers' using less enclosure space. Also is the dimmer most people have currently dimming their Halogens in a retrofit situation.

5. Output Universal Dimming, being the C-Bus 4 Channel Universal Dimmer L55082U which can run a larger group of 220v/240v LED controllers, electronic transformers etc. The universal dimmer is the safest dimmer alternative as it detects the load type and selects leading or trailing edge as required (and can also control small motors like exhaust fans / ceiling etc). Downside is only 4 dimmer channels per full width 12 module wide DIN rail slot chewing up enclosures quickly.

All the best,

Blacky7
    Last edited by blacky7; 1st April 2013 at 02:14 AM.
    Nous House - Smart Home... Smart Owner!

http://www.noushouse.com.au/