• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Seanie_230
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2012

Which automation system

Hello all new member long time lurker!

I have a bang and olufsen system and run some macro's for Beemer and IR lights using a lintronic device and some rs232 triggers.
    I want to add some remote control curtains to my bay window and start to have communication with m other rooms.
    What should I adopt to have full ipad control and that I can intergrate with my system, I did look at control four but it is only dealer setup which is annoying.
    Any idea's?
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

The loxone miniserver is one option. This has a Free iPad app and the server has a built in webserver.
    Another would have been the Homevision and Homevision Pro. But they are no longer being made.
    Idratek might be another option.

The Lintronic looks an interesting piece of kit. Does it work well.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
      Automated Home Legend
      • Dec 2007

we're coming from another direction - ie: we have an Idratek set-up, and don't have a TV, but are thinking of getting one - and a B&O + a Lintronic (TT455-RT-238 and/or Relay 208) has been on our list of possibilities for a while ...

NB: 'though we haven't tried it yet, Idratek offers an interface to iOS ...
      Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 31 October 2012, 09:18 AM.
      Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Seanie_230
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by toscal View Post
        The Lintronic looks an interesting piece of kit. Does it work well.
        the lintonic is a excellenmt peice of kit, i use it to run a macro when it detects that my tv's open collectors have been closed. this then triggars IR to turn on my beamer and drop my screen. then dim the lights and the reverse after.

it basically can take a signal RS323, IR, and others and turn it in to another IR,RS232, RS485 thing
        it works really well mine has been running for years and i dont use its capability at all compared to what it can do.

cheers

Comment

• Seanie_230
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2012

can this be programmed by joe public or is this stuff dealer only?
          where it says din rail its not in the consumer unit is it?
          Will it learn IR from anything?
          is there plenty of support online for getting things going
          is the cable CAT5 that can be used for the system to connect IR devices and pin outs etc?

so many questions

Comment

• chris_j_hunter
            Automated Home Legend
            • Dec 2007

if you're referring to Idratek, then pretty-much positive to all of that - for more info', there's a forum on AH ...
            Last edited by Otto-Mate; 29 December 2012, 11:05 AM.
            Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

• Seanie_230
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by chris_j_hunter View Post
              if you're referring to Idratek, then pretty-much positive to all of that - for more info', there's a forum on AH ...
              i meant loxone looks excellent

Comment

• toscal
                • Oct 2005

Yep Joe public can program it. Why not download the config software and watch the training videos. They are very helpful. And a good place to start to learn about what you can do.
                You can mount it where ever you want. I guess you could use CAT5. Why don't you drop them an email. They are very helpful.
                If I was to automate my house again, I would choose either the Loxone or Idratek systems.
                Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Nov 2005

cough, velbus.....cough cough!! excuse me!

Comment

• toscal
                    • Oct 2005

And a link for Velbus, would be nice plus your thoughts as well on it.
                    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Nov 2005

And a link for Velbus, would be nice plus your thoughts as well on it.
                      Sorry, was afraid of sounding like a broken record :-)

Link to www.velbus.eu I installed my system over the last 1 to 2 years having migrated from an x10 setup.The system is a modular din rail system, with 4 wire control bus, and cat5/twisted pair cabling to wall switches. It has a number of different control options, from built in control functions in each module, to server type controllers, including free and paid options. It also has a din mounted server option with iphone control.

Most importantly for me, it integrtes fully withmy comfort alarm system, which by default provides full iphone/android control of security,alarm,video camera, lighting and heating control.

I did a bit of a write up on my own set up here:- https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1z...GVJdnY3WGtYamM for more info.

Overall, I find it an exceptionally reliable and affordable solution, costing 180 euro for a 4 channel relay module,works out at 45 euro per channel, for what I see as cbus type functionality and reliability.

Regards,
                      Eamon
                      Last edited by Wexfordman; 8 November 2012, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• toscal
                        • Oct 2005

It actually looks quite interesting but no built in web server.
                        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
                          Automated Home Guru
                          • Nov 2005

It actually looks quite interesting but no built in web server.
                          There is homecentre, which is the official server, and this http://www.velbus.eu/news/?id=402 coming soon,which is the build in webserver type solution.

Also, some rf devices, keyfobs, some lovely new glass panel keypads with lcd, touchscreen, temp control modules etc.

Very nice range of stuff, with loads more coming out, and again, quite affordable.

Comment

• toscal
                            • Oct 2005

Is that price correct 699 euros. Seems very expensive.
                            And the software for pc conctrol I guess without the need for Homecentre server thingy is also expensive.
                            I think the Loxone still looks a good bet at 498 with built in webserver free pc config software, and free apps for iOS and Android.
                            A similar Velbus system looks to cost somewhere between 500 and 1000 euros with free config software but no webserver, that will cost extra. But it is very modular and you can start for an initial cheaper cost which is a bonus.
                            Like many things people will always prefer one system over another and sometimes it can boil down to a single feature. And money of course.
                            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Wexfordman
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Nov 2005

Is that price correct 699 euros. Seems very expensive.
                              Yeah, price is correct, and it is a bit pricy, but lots of alternatives, opensource etc. For me, as a seurity system was also a requirement, I have cytechs comfort, which is fully compatible, and has iphone app free, so no need for controler,server etc. I wouldnt bother with the server, I would install comfort as the controler and server, and having had comfort for over 10 years, no doubst about reliability, functions etc.

I think the Loxone still looks a good bet at 498 with built in webserver free pc config software, and free apps for iOS and Android.
                              A similar Velbus system looks to cost somewhere between 500 and 1000 euros with free config software but no webserver, that will cost extra. But it is very modular and you can start for an initial cheaper cost which is a bonus.
                              Like many things people will always prefer one system over another and sometimes it can boil down to a single feature. And money of course.
                              Yep, although I love the fact that I am not totaly reliant on one system, comfort and velbus will work independently if I want them to, and comfort has so many interface options. I think price wise, these type of systems are getting more feasible, and once you have the proper wiring system in place, it should be relatively easy to migrate from one to another.

As I said, it is the comfort/velbus integration that gives me what I consider the ideal system.. security, iphone control, telecoms, temp sensing, light and heating control etc, and 100% reliable to date!

Comment

Working...
                              X