Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: First foray into HA

Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    We've got a small-ish Idratek installation. As everyone has said the choice is absolutely horses for courses with a fair lump of personal bias thrown in (that's being human). Rather than get into the whys and wherefores of what I wanted the system to do (mostly covered above) I wanted to post to put the record straight on Idratek's looks!

I'd nearly passed Idratek by as I wasn't a big fan of the look either, but with help from Karam and a bit of homework, I'm pleased with the look of our Idratek system (I'm really pleased with Idratek itself). I've attached a few photos of a switch and a PIR/light sensor. They're not great photos, but hopefully they give you a flavour of how Idratek can look.

Here's a typical switch - how I'd wished I'd found an alternative to heatmiser from a looks/ease of use standpoint
    Attachment 292

Up close
    Attachment 291

We have a number of different switch configurations for different rooms. The switches also have LEDs, but I don't bother with them.

Spot the PIR!
    Attachment 294

It's beyond the light.
    Attachment 293

Whilst I'm here, I'd also say that Karam and Viv are the most helpful guys I've come across in a long time...

It doesn't really help your choice, but I feel better! Good luck.

Peter.
    Hi Peter,

Lovely looking system, like the switches...a lot. Are they standard momentary using twisted pair to idratek inputs ? That would certainly give more flexibility and choice for an install!

Quote Originally Posted by biccies View Post
    Wexford, which sensors are you using? I'm worried that a standard PIR will not be sensitive enough to know if a room is occupied or not. For example when watching TV you will be not normally moving enough for a sensor to detect it.
    Hi,

I am using standard PIR and door sensors (concealed door sensors) in most rooms. In the living room I have a dualtec PIR to stop false alarms when the fire/stove is lighting. I also have a standard on/off thermostat located behind the stove which tells my system when the stove is lighting (stove has a backboiler, so when its lighting, I want my zoned heating to react accordingly).

From a presence sensing perspective, in rooms that are suitable, I use a logic of motion sensing and door status. For example, in the bathroom, when the door is opened and its dark, the bathroom light is turned on and a timer is started. When the PIR in the bathroom detects movemeent, and the bathroom door is closed, then the timer is paused until the the door is opened again. This pretty much gaurantees that the light is always on when the room is occupied. I also fitted recessed spring door closers to the bathrooms (about 10 euro each) which helps make sure this works 100%, as the door is then always closed.

For other rooms, such as kitchen, I simply do pir and timer actions, as this room is normally quite active, same for corridoors etc. The living room, the lights are automated, but I dont have them activating based on any sensors, I have a few macros on the iphone app to setup depending on what you want to do. I could add presence detection based on and combination offire lighting, motion, detecting IR from the remotes etc, but just havnt got round to this yet, its on the list!!

Hi Wexfordman,

How did you find running the door contact cabling?? I live in a 2 story property, so upstairs is not a drama as I can run into the loft-space, but downstairs is a frustration as I have no access to the ceiling void, either from above or below, and the coving is in place. Short or running the cables via the carpet grippers I am running short of ideas.

Did you multiplex them at all to save on cable runs?

Quote Originally Posted by Vangelis View Post
    Hi Wexfordman,

How did you find running the door contact cabling?? I live in a 2 story property, so upstairs is not a drama as I can run into the loft-space, but downstairs is a frustration as I have no access to the ceiling void, either from above or below, and the coving is in place. Short or running the cables via the carpet grippers I am running short of ideas.

Did you multiplex them at all to save on cable runs?
    Hi, I was fortuneate enough, I have a bungalow, so was relatively easy to rewire.I did structure the cabling though, using krone blocks to reduce the number of runs etc. I did a bit of a write up on it if you are interested, you can see it here :-

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1z...GVJdnY3WGtYamM

Just on the rewiring or running sensor cable, if your doing any redecorating at all its actually not a huge job to chase out a small channel and fill it in again. I did do it with one door last year and you would never know it was there!

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordman View Post
    Hi Peter,

Lovely looking system, like the switches...a lot. Are they standard momentary using twisted pair to idratek inputs ? That would certainly give more flexibility and choice for an install!
    Yep! It turns out that a lot of the German switches come in momentary format - I guess it's due to a more developed HA world (maybe driven by KNX?). They are more expensive than I think they should be, but they do come in a lot of finishes and a variety of styles.

Quote Originally Posted by pbj View Post
    Yep! It turns out that a lot of the German switches come in momentary format - I guess it's due to a more developed HA world (maybe driven by KNX?). They are more expensive than I think they should be, but they do come in a lot of finishes and a variety of styles.
    I was keen to get brushed stainless steel momentary switches to replace my clipsal ones, those ones look great, I like the different sized panels on them, are they modular ?

I ended up going for minigrid modular switches with screwless faceplates.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks Wexfordman - I had already taken a looksee at your write up... I am still in the process of wiring and making sure I have enough cable runs to cater for current and future requirements.

I have the added bonus of wanting electronic deadbolts on some internal doors - so not looking forward to the carpentry skills required to install them

Looking at your pictures in the last thread - didn't you fancy the latest KP06, as that would fit with your chosen colour scheme for the switchgear?

Yeah the newer kp06 would be lovely but ready had the keypad installed about 2 years ago. It's on the wishlist

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wexfordman View Post
    I was keen to get brushed stainless steel momentary switches to replace my clipsal ones, those ones look great, I like the different sized panels on them, are they modular ?

I ended up going for minigrid modular switches with screwless faceplates.

These switches look great. What brand are they? Where did you get them?

Btw this is a great thread that I've read with a lot of interest. I'm in a very similar position to the original poster. Am trying to get a full house HA system and am looking at the Fibaro dimmers as well as either a Vera or Fibaro computer controller. But after this thread am thinking about the Comfort option.
    Last edited by Lab-art; 2nd January 2013 at 01:16 AM.