• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbj
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Wexfordman View Post
    Hi Peter,

Lovely looking system, like the switches...a lot. Are they standard momentary using twisted pair to idratek inputs ? That would certainly give more flexibility and choice for an install!
    Yep! It turns out that a lot of the German switches come in momentary format - I guess it's due to a more developed HA world (maybe driven by KNX?). They are more expensive than I think they should be, but they do come in a lot of finishes and a variety of styles.

Comment

• Wexfordman
      Automated Home Guru
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by pbj View Post
      Yep! It turns out that a lot of the German switches come in momentary format - I guess it's due to a more developed HA world (maybe driven by KNX?). They are more expensive than I think they should be, but they do come in a lot of finishes and a variety of styles.
      I was keen to get brushed stainless steel momentary switches to replace my clipsal ones, those ones look great, I like the different sized panels on them, are they modular ?

I ended up going for minigrid modular switches with screwless faceplates.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

Thanks Wexfordman - I had already taken a looksee at your write up... I am still in the process of wiring and making sure I have enough cable runs to cater for current and future requirements.

I have the added bonus of wanting electronic deadbolts on some internal doors - so not looking forward to the carpentry skills required to install them

Looking at your pictures in the last thread - didn't you fancy the latest KP06, as that would fit with your chosen colour scheme for the switchgear?

Comment

• Wexfordman
          Automated Home Guru
          • Nov 2005

Yeah the newer kp06 would be lovely but ready had the keypad installed about 2 years ago. It's on the wishlist

Comment

• Lab-art
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2012

I was keen to get brushed stainless steel momentary switches to replace my clipsal ones, those ones look great, I like the different sized panels on them, are they modular ?

I ended up going for minigrid modular switches with screwless faceplates.

These switches look great. What brand are they? Where did you get them?

Btw this is a great thread that I've read with a lot of interest. I'm in a very similar position to the original poster. Am trying to get a full house HA system and am looking at the Fibaro dimmers as well as either a Vera or Fibaro computer controller. But after this thread am thinking about the Comfort option.
            Last edited by Lab-art; 2 January 2013, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• Wexfordman
              Automated Home Guru
              • Nov 2005

Hi labart,
              They are click mini grid, I got them from alert electrical, see below for more info links etc.

Regards
              Eamon

Comment

• Lab-art
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2012

Hi labart,
                They are click mini grid, I got them from alert electrical, see below for more info links etc.

Regards
                Eamon

http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...witches!/page2
                Thanks for this Eamon - just the thread I was looking for. I had been looking for information on Monostable/push to make/retractive switches but had not looked for "momentary". I will give Nathan at Alert a call and see what he can do.

Comment

• Lab-art
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Dec 2012

Comfort looks very interesting. I am seriously looking at it for my own installation. Currently I'm looking at fibaro zwave dimmers for the lighting, HDbaseT matrix for the video distribution, Sonos (which I have owned for several years) and security is my last black box...

In other threads I've seen people claiming that it is best to have a dedicated security system such as DSC PC1864 with a panel such as: http://www.dsc.com/index.php?n=products&o=view&id=1393. It seems as if the DSC system can be integrated into a zwave system via Vera or the like.

Do any of you know how this sort of setup would compare to the Comfort?

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                    Founder
                    • Jan 2004

Remember you can get the Comfort "Logic Engine" as a standalone product if you don't need the security panel parts of it.

M.
                    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                    www.twitter.com/ottomate
                    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• b33k34
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by pbj View Post
                      Our set up uses Jung (www.jung.de) switches (they are just straight momentary switches) connected to an Idratek module (a DIO to be precise). .......

One day I will interface it to the burglar alarm and the heatmiser controlled central heating which both look eminently do-able.
                      Where did you source the Jung switches, and at what sort of price - they look good.

Also, any info on interfacing with Heatmiser?

Comment

• Lab-art
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2012

Thanks Otto-Mate. I had not realised they separated out the logic engine. Would you recommend this over a Vera or HC2 systems, price-wise it definitely looks interesting? How difficult is it to program.

However, I'm still interested in whether it makes sense to go with a dedicated security installation (ala DSC) which will presumably be more secure, and from what I can tell will definitely be cheeper (especially if I manage to get it from the US at 1/3 the Uk prices ). And for that you get the PTK5507 color touch screen for about US200 (GBP130) vs the KT03 for GBP300. The controller units are also cheeper.

Having said this, one of the things that attracts me to the Comfort system, reading between the lines in the above posts, is that people have used it for such a long time without faults. I would not like to introduce another time intensive computer (with Anti-virus updates, endless fiddling, crashes, etc) into my household.

Any thoughts?
                        Last edited by Lab-art; 2 January 2013, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                          Founder
                          • Jan 2004

The solid state nature of Comfort makes it very reliable. Also the range of 'UCM' interface boards allow you to integrate with RS232, RS485, Ethernet, C-Bus, Crestron, KNX, Z-Wave, Velbus, GSM etc.

I'm not up on the latest software though, perhaps someone else could comment on how it is to programe these days compared to the Vera or HC2.

M.
                          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
                          www.twitter.com/ottomate
                          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Vangelis
                            Automated Home Guru
                            • Sep 2009

The latest Comfort units allow for programming via PC (if you have the Eth2 UCM) or via the keypad. I did the latter with my first Comfort 1 system, but would not like to do it with my latest, especially with all the functionality built into the UCMs
                            There are also iPhone and Android apps for day to day usage

As for stability, it's been rock solid (if properly installed), and the compatibility with other protocols allow holistic control

Not used Vera or HC2 before sos cannot comment, as wanted a one stop shop for my installation

Comment

• Wexfordman
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Lab-art View Post
                              Thanks Otto-Mate. I had not realised they separated out the logic engine. Would you recommend this over a Vera or HC2 systems, price-wise it definitely looks interesting? How difficult is it to program.

However, I'm still interested in whether it makes sense to go with a dedicated security installation (ala DSC) which will presumably be more secure, and from what I can tell will definitely be cheeper (especially if I manage to get it from the US at 1/3 the Uk prices ). And for that you get the PTK5507 color touch screen for about US200 (GBP130) vs the KT03 for GBP300. The controller units are also cheeper.

Having said this, one of the things that attracts me to the Comfort system, reading between the lines in the above posts, is that people have used it for such a long time without faults. I would not like to introduce another time intensive computer (with Anti-virus updates, endless fiddling, crashes, etc) into my household.

Any thoughts?

Comfort may be more expensive but when you consider what you are getting it is still good value. Remember that with comfort, you are purchasing an alarm system and a home controller. What will the cost of an alarm system plus a home controller work out as.

Also, I genuinely think that you cannot properly automate your home without integrating it to your security system. You want to be able to get your house to perform actions based on away, night mode etc, so what easier way to do it that having your alarm system as the Controller?

A simple example of how well comfort integrates for me:

1) arming system to night mode from bedside switch turns off all kights
                              2) system in night mode will treat motion detection on pirs differently to day mode and operate lights accordingly
                              3) coming home at night and opening front door activates porch light. Disarming alarm system then activates internal hall lights etc
                              4) away mode (security armed) activate a light sequence to make house look occupied.
                              5) heat control and temp settings based on house occupancy, ie away mode, night mode or holiday mode operate heating in different ways

I can't see how the above could be done easier without having a system as well integrated as comfort to be honest.

Programming is easyish I don't have a programming background but it's entirely based on if then else type logic, so handy enough

Comment

• Lab-art
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Dec 2012

Thanks Eamon,

A couple of questions:

I've had a look at the Comfort system and I must say it looks very good.

I am still going through my own system to determine how it will all integrate. But was wondering if you could tell me a little about your set-up?

1) How can you control the heating through Comfort. I understand that the Honeywell UMC is obsolete.
                                2) Do you have the KT03 touch screen? Is it easy to program? Can it do all the functions above?
                                3) Have you managed to program all of the above via your mobile/iphone?

I received a quote for a Comfort system for the following components. Would you be able to look through it and let me know if there is anything that I may have missed:

CP9000-ULT/EN CP9000-ULT/EN03, Comfort II ULT HA.Alarm
                                PS1270 PS1270 , Powersonic, Power-Sonic 12V 7AH
                                2 x KP04-WI KP04-WI, Keypad with LCD, White plastic A
                                UCM/ZWAVE UCM/ZWAVE, UCM to Zwave Interface 868 Mhz
                                UCM/ETH2 UCM/Eth2, UCM Interface to Ethernet w 24
                                5 x Bosch PIRs
                                LEM02-M2 LEM02-M2, Local Expansion Module 8 Inputs
                                CQR426 CQR, SOINT1/16/WH, Internal Sounder 16 oh (I will be reusing the external siren that is already in situ)
                                DP03-WI DP03-WI, Door Station. Rings home telepho
                                RGR05 RGR05, Ringer Module, rings the phone for
                                KT03-BL KT03-BL, Touchscreen monochrome 4 in, bla

I may actually forego the KP04s and go for 2 KT03s.

Thanks,

Willem
                                Last edited by Lab-art; 5 January 2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X