• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • theselby
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2012

Fluorescent Lighting Automation

I need to automate some lights within a large garage for a client of mine.

The lights are 6 x 5ft (2 x 58w Fluorescent Tubes) that are currently turned on/off by a single switch.

I originally considered the LightwaveRF system but was told it wouldn't handle the load...I'm now looking at the Fibaro Inline Insert 3kw but I'm still not sure if this will be able to handle the load of the fluorescent tubes when they first turn on or off...something about EMS messing with RF switches.

I then guess the Link-Z Vera Lite to enable the switch to be controlled remotely via an internet connected device.

Any help with this would be really appreciated as it's causing me a real headache.
  • ggiblin
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by theselby View Post
    I need to automate some lights within a large garage for a client of mine.

The lights are 6 x 5ft (2 x 58w Fluorescent Tubes) that are currently turned on/off by a single switch.

I originally considered the LightwaveRF system but was told it wouldn't handle the load...I'm now looking at the Fibaro Inline Insert 3kw but I'm still not sure if this will be able to handle the load of the fluorescent tubes when they first turn on or off...something about EMS messing with RF switches.

I then guess the Link-Z Vera Lite to enable the switch to be controlled remotely via an internet connected device.

Any help with this would be really appreciated as it's causing me a real headache.
    I had a similar problem a while ago. The problem is the initial load when the lights are turned on.

I bypassed the switch and put in a relay.

The relay was controlled by an RF switch from China (That was what I had at the time).

The RF Switch controlled a socket. I put an old Nokia charger into the socket and wired it to the relay.

Turn on the RF switch. This powers the Nokia changer. Powers the Relay. Lights come on.

It is a good solution. It cost me nothing. It has been working for years at this stage.

Comment

• theselby
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2012

I've made a diagram of the circuit (it's shit) but should show enough detail for someone to help me....

WiringDiagram.jpg

Comment

Working...
      X