Thread: Advice for an experienced user who has run out of puff

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Advice for an experienced user who has run out of puff

Hello there, I'm new to the forum after extensive use in the 1999 - 2002 period, when I installed a Homevision and Cumfort system. Since them technology has moved on, HV is no longer made or supported, X10 annoys the hell out of me, ands in short the system need a thourough overhaul and update.
    My question is this, given that there is a huge spread of proprietory and open source HA options, and that life is too short to re-learn it all myself, how do I go about finding a systems integrator who will come up with the best option rather then the option which they happen to sell?

I was pretty much in EXACT same position as you! Initially in 2000/2001 built my house around x10,homevision and comfort, and overtime got rid of homevision. Also wanted to get rid of x10, but keep comfort, so did a bit of research and chose an alterntaive to x10 (had always looked at cbus or eib, but found it to be way too expensive for me).

Anyway, wrote a bit of an overview of my move from x10 you can see it here if you want

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1z...GVJdnY3WGtYamM

there are lots of options for different technologies, and lots of pros/cons etc, so the above is just my experience.

I think a solution similar to Wexfordman would probably suit you since you have the Comfort system.
    I rather like the Loxone system and its not that hard to learn, as the online video tutorials are great. I hope to get my hands on one early next year. You can have a play with the config software without the need for the miniserver. And there is also a built in simulator so you can simulate the set up before you upload it to the miniserver.
    The only other one I like is Idratek, and this has its own forum space on here.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    www.casatech.eu Renovation Spain Blog

Automated Home Jr Member

Wexfordman, that is a very interesting document. My only grumble with Comfort is the unfriendly programming interface, but having said that I have a first generation board and configurator 1. I will look much closer at the options surrounding Comfort, if I can find a local dealer.