• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanEvans
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2012

Newbie needs advise

Hi I am a complete newbie to the world of home alteration. I have and use a Logitech Harmony 1100 but am getting a bit bored as it cant do everything I would like it to do.

I would like to start of small with just one room and go on from there. What I am hoping to do is control my TV, home cinema system, Sky HD box, Mac Mini and Zeppelin, lights, fireplace and heating from my iPad 2.

I have no idea how to go about this what hardware or software I would need to purchase or download.

I have the following

LG32LH3010-ZB
    SkyplusSKY-HD BOX
    SamsungHT-C5500
    CrabtreeLP-003
    B&WZepplin Mini
    IR Mertik Maxitrol fireplace remote control
    Mac Mini Late 2009 model
    Salus Thermostat model number RT300RF (TX) running on frequency 868MHz

If anyone can help me with what I might need I would be very grateful.

Thankyou in advance

Dan
  • bailers
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2010

For the control of the AV I would suggest a global cache Itach and the roomie remote iOS app. All pretty simple to set up and very effective.

If you just want to control one room then for the lights, heating etc I would suggest the lightwaverf products, I don't own them myself however I have seen a demo and they worked well with the iOS app

I hope this helps

Comment

• DanEvans
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2012

Thank you this have given me idea as to what I might need. I have a few questions about your thoughts. What type of global cache Itach would I need to get as there are many different types. Wifi, serial and IR. the app looks quite easy to use and setup. Would the global cache be compatible with my IR Mertik Maxitrol fireplace remote?

Comment

• bailers
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2010

You would need an itach ir in either wifi,Ethernet or power over Ethernet. I personally have an Ethernet as my unit is mounted near a network switch however the wifi one is ideal if you don't have an Ethernet connection.

You can set up customised devices on roomie remote and the itach comes with an ir blaster similar to the way a remote control works. You can learn the codes of the fireplace ir to the itach through roomie remote so I think this is feasible.

I must say I have found both products to work reliably and I will continue to use them until I intergrated my av into my Loxone system

Comment

• DanEvans
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2012

I have been reading about the itach wifi to IR and it has the IR blasters. Do you know of any products where you don't need the IR blasters? Something where there might be some central IR unit that will send out the signal as my TV is on the other side of the room to all my other AV equipment.

Thanks

Comment

• bailers
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DanEvans View Post
            I have been reading about the itach wifi to IR and it has the IR blasters. Do you know of any products where you don't need the IR blasters? Something where there might be some central IR unit that will send out the signal as my TV is on the other side of the room to all my other AV equipment.

Thanks
            The global cache Itach wifi to ir comes with 3 emitters that stick to the front of components and it also comes with a blaster that plugs into port 3 which will blast the ir signal to the other side of the room.

The link below from their website details this:

Comment

• DanEvans
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by bailers View Post
              The global cache Itach wifi to ir comes with 3 emitters that stick to the front of components and it also comes with a blaster that plugs into port 3 which will blast the ir signal to the other side of the room.

The link below from their website details this:

http://www.globalcache.com/products/itach/wf2irspecs/
              I have just been looking and I now know what you mean, but I cannot find out if this IR Blaster will be able to control more than 1 thing or is it just going to be able to do 1 device?

Comment

• DanEvans
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Dec 2012

I now know what you mean as I have been watching some videos about it. One thing I cannot find out is how many devices the IR blaster can control because I have at least 2 things maybe even 3 that will need controlling by it.

Comment

• bailers
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DanEvans View Post
                  I now know what you mean as I have been watching some videos about it. One thing I cannot find out is how many devices the IR blaster can control because I have at least 2 things maybe even 3 that will need controlling by it.
                  The blaster in theory can control as many devices as you like providing the software you are using has the codes required. The stick on emitters can only control the device they are stuck to. You can also purchase double emitters which have one 3.5mm jack which connects to two stick on emitter heads.

If you are using roomie remote you can control as many devices as you like using the blaster.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• gbkk
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Jun 2018

PoE is always a good idea. Check the guide that I found useful on basics of PoE power supplies. https://smarthome.university/best-poe-injectors/

Comment

Working...
                    X