• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • benjiosaur
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Dec 2012

Geofence your heating using an iPhone

Hi All,

I have put together a summary of a project that I've been working on recently - I have managed to geofence my heating using an iPhone. This means that the heating automatically switches off when no-one is home.

I've got no idea whether this has been done before or not, but I thought i'd share a few pictures and diagrams.

Please let me know what you think:

Introduction With the advent of Apple's iOS 6 comes the ability to use geo-fencing, a way of sending notifications based on your location....

Benji
  • Vangelis
    Automated Home Guru
    • Sep 2009

Really interesting project Benji. I have been wanting to do something with the heating for ages as the rest of my family have no concept of thermostatic control and use it as an on/off switch. They also override the boiler controls from timed to always on...Grrr

I guess I would go down the Raspberry Pi / Arduino route and I never like the idea of an always on PC, especially running Windows, due to them eventually grinding to a halt with memory leaks.

The closest thing (but expensive) to this would be the Nest 2.0, that is when it comes to then UK.

As a possible addition to the project could be servo control of the Thermostat. That is (if like me and dont feel the cold much), if I am the only person home then I could ramp the heating up to say 18 degrees C. However when it identified that the wife is also home then it can increase to say 25....
    This could also cater for the winter months if the house is empty and could cycle the heating at a low temp.

Vangelis
    Last edited by Vangelis; 30 December 2012, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• benjiosaur
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2012

Thanks for your comments Vangelis,

I agree with your experiences in the thermostat department, ours always gets turned up to max before the heating has even had a change to get up to temperature!

You could potentially completely scrap the manual thermostat and timer control and instead write a custom script to take care of it, assigning different temperature ranges to different combinations of people at home. You can pick up USB thermometers for less than £10. You could even have the heating come on automatically for an hour per day if a frost was detected outside etc.

Benji

Comment

Working...
      X