Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help finding Monostable switches for Fibaro dimmers in the UK

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Help finding Monostable switches for Fibaro dimmers in the UK

I am a newbie to home automation. I am in the midst of doing a total refurb to my house and have done a fair amount of research on automated lighting.

I very much like look of the Fibaro Dimmer z-wave modules (for their functionality, ease of use, and price/value). But I find it very difficult to source the sort of monostable rocker switches (spring loaded) that work best with them. I was hoping to find something in a brushed steel finnish (preferably srew-less). But for some reason I can't seem to find them anywhere??

Anyone have experience sourcing these in the UK??? Presumably these are common on the continent.

Automated Home Sr Member Quinten's Avatar

You want the MK Grid system, such as this one: http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Sw...S+W/1919195081

They are a modular system and very flexible, but I found the 'push' on them way to firm for comfort (just imagine yourself holding 2 cups of coffee and then trying to switch the kitchen light with your elbow... I couldnt manage it )

Automated Home Jr Member

Thank you Quinten,

A modular grid system would be perfect. MK seem to have a decent reputation. I also found these: http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/Sw...SS+B/639733130

Any other thoughts that don't involve broken coffee cups?

Automated Home Jr Member

Lab-art, let us know how you go with the Fibaro dimmers, I'm looking to install them as well.

Automated Home Jr Member

Biccies.

Will do. But I'm still around 2 months away from installing over 25 of them throughout the house as I'm doing a total renovation of my house. Hence why I'm doing all this HA research (lighting, Video, music, security, heating... It seems endless, and daunting). I will be testing them over the next few weeks, though.

Also, the following thread is pertinent to this issue. I was asking for a "Monostable" switch. What I didn't realise was that they were also referred to as "momentary" switches.
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...witches!/page2

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks for that Lab, I had seen it. You also posted on a thread I started which has become a bit of a 'comfort' fan thread. I'm in a similar position to you, buying a new house and looking to implement a HA system

Automated Home Jr Member

It is good thread. Because of it I am actually contemplating Comfort for the security HA portion of my implementation. Still so much to decide and I have the electrician in next week to do a good portion of the house. Oh my...

L

Automated Home Jr Member

Lab - Have a think about how you're actually going to use the lights - do you need dimming or just on/off ? The Fibaro dimmers will work with a bi stable switch (after changing one of the parameters) for local on/off. I've got about 9 or 10 Fibaro modules and only 4 have local dimming using Clipsil modular monostable switches, but these are primarily controlled using scene buttons that Comfort/Homeseer control. I replaced my old X10 micro module dimmers that had monstable switches with Fibaro and bistable switches for 2 reasons - We never used the dimming function for most of the lights and because the monostable switches weren't 'normal' lights switches they weren't very popular with family/vistors etc. In fact for some of the modules the dimming function is turned off (again, it's a parameter you can set) to control non dimming LED lights.

Kevin W.

Automated Home Jr Member

KW1816, thanks for that post! I had initially thought it was possible, just to clarify though, the switch can still control light no matter what state the Fibaro is in. For example, if my HA system turns the light on and rock of the switch will turn it off? and vice versa?

Automated Home Jr Member

Thanks Kevin,

Yes I was aware of that - in theory at least - but good to have your verification.

In my previous house we had all the lights with dimmers and we have gown to like them. However, with traditional wiring and no automation the staircase problem was always an issue. These dimmers, from what I can tell, allow you to easily overcome the issue without too much fuss.

The following clip demonstrates the 3 way wiring with one dimmer unit/circuit.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdOmDop...%3DZdOmDop1rkc

I am having to replace all the switches anyway and therefor I wanted to standardise. However, you make a good point, and I will discuss it with my wife (ie. the Boss).

What do you use for scene control? Do you only use Comfort/iPhone? For example in the living room when you want to watch TV how do you dim and then when you want full lights do then have to go back to your iPhone?

L