KW1816, thanks for that post! I had initially thought it was possible, just to clarify though, the switch can still control light no matter what state the Fibaro is in. For example, if my HA system turns the light on and rock of the switch will turn it off? and vice versa?
Biccies Yep, the switch controls the module regardless, it sees the state change of the switch input from 'On' to 'Off' or vice versa and toggles the light. One watch out (and to be fair it's in the instructions) is that if the connected switch is 'On' then you can't set the module to discover mode to add it to the network. Took me ages and a fair bit of head scratching to work that one out !

What do you use for scene control? Do you only use Comfort/iPhone? For example in the living room when you want to watch TV how do you dim and then when you want full lights do then have to go back to your iPhone?
Lab,
Control comes from a number of sources:
  • Lightswitch I have two banks of four Clipsil momentary switches, 4 are connected to the dimmers and provide local control (including dimming) and 4 are connected to spare inputs on the Comfort alarm panel. Comfort itself has no direct connection to Z-Wave but it does talk to Homeseer. Homeseer has an event that sees one of the scene switches activated and then sends out the Z-Wave control signals. It's very quick and you'd never notice any delay.
  • iPhone Runs Homeseers interface,App HSTouch. Can control anything Homeseer can. I can also run a few Homeseer events by SMS if there's no data network.
  • Remote control I have a number of Harmony One remote controls that can send commands to Homeseer via a USBUIRT 2 way IR interface.
  • Tablet A have a number of Zoostorm SL8 Win 7 tablets running Mainlobby that give touchscreen control of the system (Mainlobby server interfaces with Homeseer).

Typically the scene lighting gets activated by either the lightswitch or the Harmony remote controls, either as button press or as part of a macro.
My philosophy is to keep all the 'mission critical' systems like heating, alarm, lighting, standalone but capable of talking to, and being controlled by, a central system. Lighting is a good example of this. Each Z-wave dimmer can be used on local control, with no reliance on a central system but they still report status (using a group3 association to Homeseer) and can be controlled centrally. Here's a simple block diagram showing how each device or system connects, I have a central server that runs Homeseer, Mainlobby Server and Geovision (for CCTV). Once a system or device 'talks' to either Homeseer or Mainlobby then it can be either controlled, or used as a trigger for any other device. Homeseer/Mainlobby does the logic and translation.

home autom block.jpg