Arm/Disarm Alarm with Low Voltage Switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • FunkyBunch
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2013

Arm/Disarm Alarm with Low Voltage Switch?

Hey there, I am looking to Arm and Disarm my alarm system using z-wave, how are people doing this typically? Are there low voltage z-wave switches which can achieve this? I was looking at the Fibaro Universal Sensor but i do not think you can trigger this to change a relay position.
    Thanks in advance!
  • FunkyBunch
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2013

Just to add, this is an existing alarm with no z-wave functionality currently.

Comment

• FibaroUK
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2014

Hi FunkyBunch,

Generally, it isn't advised to actually Arm/Disarm a hard-wired alarm with a 3rd Party System of any kind. If you have home contents insurance policy, allowing your alarm to be disarmed via any 3rd Party System usually invalidates it as well.

The Universal sensor is meant as exactly that, a sensor - not an actor. However any z-wave relay would in theory do the trick here - it gets a command, closes the contact momentarily on the Alarm board, system arm state is toggled. Obviously your alarm board would have to allow such a thing in the first place.

The question is do you want that to be possible? If someone where to gain access to your system (not sure what you're looking to use here?) they they could disarm your alarm at the push of a button, with no additional layers of security? Usually, we recommend sticking to sensing the state of the alarm only (Safe, Breached etc)

Regards,
      Daniel | Fibaro UK Technical Dept. | T: 0203 327 1000 | E: support@fibarouk.co.uk

Comment

• Vangelis
        Automated Home Guru
        • Sep 2009

If my alarm system could be disabled with a switch....I would be looking for a new alarm!

However, you could use the Fibaro Universal Sensor if...

Your system uses a keyswitch to arm/disarm(circa 1960's)
        or
        Your system uses an RF keyfob to arm/disarm - You could wire the Fibaro's switch contacts across they keyfob buttons (need good soldering skills)

Vangelis

Comment

Working...
        X